Samar Mukherjee, the freedom fighter as well as the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader died on 18 July 2013 in Kolkata following a range of illnesses. He was 100 years of age and was a bachelor. He was the oldest living member of CPI-M.
About Samar Mukherjee
• Samar Mukherjee was born at Amta in Howrah district on 7 November 1913.
• He joined the Communist Party of India-Marxist in 1964. He had joined CPI in the year 1940.
• He was the representative of Howrah in the Lok Sabha for three years in a row between 1971 and 1984.
• He was also elected to Rajya Sabha in 1986.
• He remained a member of the West Bengal assembly from 1957 to 1971.
• Samar Mukherjee participated in the freedom movement of India. He also protested against the Simon Commission as well as Civil Disobedience Movement.
• His biography titled 100 Years of Samar Mukherjee: A Tribute was released on his 100th Birthday in English as well as Bengali languages.
Who: Samar Mukherjee
What: Passed Away at 100
When: 18 July 2013