Endurance: My Year in Space and Our Journey to Mars: Scott Kelly
NASA astronaut Scott Kelly will write a memoir titled Endurance: My Year in Space and Our Journey to Mars, as announced on 6 April 2016. The book will be published by Alfred A. Knopf.
Scott returned to Earth in March 2016 after spending almost a year aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
The memoir will offer a glimpse of Scott’s journey to space and his life aboard the ISS. He will also recount the obstacles he encountered along the way, his early struggles in school, his training as a Navy test pilot, and the work required to become an astronaut and live in space for one year.
Scott’s arguments in favour of more space travel, both government-sponsored and private, will also be included in the book.
The book will be published in November 2017.
About Scott Kelly
• Scott Joseph Kelly is an engineer, retired American astronaut and a retired U.S. Navy Captain.
• He commanded the International Space Station on Expeditions 26, 44 and 45.
• His first spaceflight was as pilot of Space Shuttle Discovery during STS-103 in December 1999.
• In November 2012, Scott was selected, along with Mikhail Korniyenko, for a special year-long mission to the International Space Station. Their year in space commenced 27 March 2015 with the start of Expedition 43, continued through the entirety of Expeditions 44 and 45, both of which Scott commanded.
• He passed command to Timothy Kopra on 29 February 2016, when the ISS year long mission ended.
• He returned to Earth aboard Soyuz TMA-18M on 1 March 2016.
• In October 2015, he set the record for the total accumulated number of days spent in space by an American astronaut. For the ISS year long mission, he spent 340 consecutive days in space.
• His identical twin brother, Mark Kelly, is a former astronaut. The Kelly brothers are the only siblings to have travelled in space.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.