The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development organised the 2nd meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under POSHAN Abhiyaan on July 24, 2018 in New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by the Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, Rajiv Kumar.
• During the meeting, the National Council approved the inclusion of 32 new districts under POSHAN Abhiyaan in the current year.
- The move will saturate all the districts of the Union Territories that had been left out under Phase-I and Phase-II.
- It will also provide full coverage to those states, where up to 5 districts had been left.
- This will facilitate saturation of 8 new States/UTs and take the total number of states and union territories covered under POSHAN Abhiyaan to 23.
• Besides, the WCD Ministry presented three modules from an online course for nutrition, which it has been developing with the assistance of the National Institute of Nutrition. These courses are planned to be hosted independently by WCD Ministry and National Institute of Nutrition portals.
• The WCD Ministry has also developed a caller tune and ring tone to popularise and create a connect with the Abhiyaan’s goal of Sahi Poshan Desh Roshan.
• The Ministry released the caller tune and ringtone during the meeting
• Further, in-principle approval of the guidelines for construction of anganwadi centres in urban areas/slums under aanganwadi services were also given during the meeting.
• The programme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 8, 2018.
• Through the use of technology, a targeted approach and convergence, the programme aims to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight in children and lay focus on adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers, thus holistically addressing malnutrition.
• The programme aims to create synergy, ensure better monitoring, issue alerts for timely action, and encourage States/UTs to perform, guide and supervise the line Ministries and States/UTs to achieve the targeted goals.
• To ensure a holistic approach, it aims to cover all 36 States/UTs and 718 districts in a phased manner by the year 2020.
The WCD Ministry sought assistance from the Ministry of AYUSH for preparing yoga guidelines for:
(i) Adolescent Girls
(ii) Pregnant Ladies
(iii) Lactating Mothers
(iv) Children within 3-6 years of age
Ministry of AYUSH, in consultation with Ministry of WCD, has prepared 4 protocol booklets of Yoga with the assistance of Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY) and the same was released during the meeting.
Further, a MoU is likely to be signed with NASSCOM Foundation by WCD Ministry for the roll-out and implementation of POSHAN Abhiyaan across all 36 States/UTs by developing partnerships with corporates, social organisations and business houses for creating a Jan Andolan on nutrition across the Country.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Where: New Delhi
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports