A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket exploded on its Cape Canaveral launch pad during a test on 1 September 2016.
The explosion destroyed a commercial satellite that Facebook had planned to use to extend Internet access in Africa.
It was the second time in just over a year that SpaceX has lost a Falcon 9 rocket, which is slated to launch NASA astronauts for the first time in 2017.
• Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company.
• The company is headquartered in Hawthorne, California, United States.
• It was founded in 2002 by former PayPal entrepreneur and Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk.
• The company was founded with the goal of creating the technologies to reduce space transportation costs and enable the colonization of Mars.
• It has developed the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 launch vehicles, both designed to be reusable.
• SpaceX is funded by government subsidiaries and contracts.
• SpaceX's achievements include the first privately funded, liquid-propellant rocket (Falcon 1) to reach orbit in 2008.
• It is also the first privately funded company to successfully launch, orbit and recover a spacecraft (Dragon) in 2010.
• The launch of the Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) in 2015 was the company's first delivery beyond Earth orbit.
• NASA awarded the company a Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) contract in 2006 to design and demonstrate a launch system to resupply cargo to the International Space Station (ISS).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.