Sunil Kumar took over as the Managing Director of Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) on 16 April 2013. He will remain at the post of Advisor Safety in Railway Board as well as his present designation till notified further.
About Sunil Kumar
• Sunil Kumar is the 1976 batch officer of Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS).
• He completed his MBA and MA (Political Science) from the University of Allabhabad.
• He worked as Adviser (PG), CPM (IT) in Northern Railways.
• He has also remained Member (Traffic) Running Allowance Committee Railway Board.
• He was the Chief Commercial Manager (G) Northern Railway as well.
• During his career, he held positions such as Director Traffic Commercial (Claims) Railway board, Director (Moverment) in Ministry of Food, Deputy Chief Commercial Supdt. Passenger Reservation System, Southern Railway in Madras as well as Area Officer, Madras.
• The most notable contribution of Sunil Kumar was his contribution towards concept of Internet Ticketing and UTS.
• His specialisation is in the fields of usage of computer for various management applications by developing software and humanware in-house and bringing in novel concepts in the field of multi-modalism.
• The first PSCT in India was established by him at Madras in the year 1990.
• He was also the author of the paper IT vision 2025 for Indian Railways which was written in 2002.
• He was conferred with Railway Minister’s medal, the highest honour of the Railway, in the year 1984 for his outstanding contribution as Sr. DCS Palghat Division in improving the earning of Railways by over 1.5 crore Rupees.
About Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS)
• Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) was established in 1986 by Ministry of Railways.
• The aim of CRIS was to provide consulting and IT services to Indian Railways.
• At present, CRIS works with Indian Railways to build new products or services and to implement prudent business and technology strategies.