The Supreme Court of India (SC) on 14 February 2017 overruled a Karnataka High Court’s judgment in a disproportionate assets case related to Sasikala. The ruling of the SC renders Sasikala ineligible to contest Assembly elections.
Details related to the judgment
• The judgment was delivered by a bench of the apex court comprising Justices PC Ghose and Amitava Roy.
• The SC delivered the judgment on the basis of appeals filed by Karnataka government and others, including DMK leader K. Anbazhagan.
• The bench restored the trial court conviction of the accused in September 2014.
• The trial court’s verdict was overruled by the Karanatak High Court in June 2015.
• The high court acquitted former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and three co-accused, including Sasikala, in the disproportionate assets case.
Who: Supreme Court
When: 14 February 2017