The Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) on 19 December 2014 announced that it had partnered with Microsoft India to transform Surat into a smart city.
The city will be transformed into a smart city under Microsoft’s CityNext Program, a plan that will make citizen services more responsive, transparent, efficient and productive.
Under the partnership, Microsoft and its partners will help SMC to bring solutions for water management and urban planning, including building plan approvals.
In past, Surat had partnered with Microsoft technologies to implement several e-governance schemes. These includes
• Property tax payments
• Birth and death registration
• Grievance redressal system
• Vaccination alert system
• Application tracking systems
• Solid waste management system
Earlier, Union government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, after coming into power in May 2014, announced the setting up of 100 smart cities across the country.
• Surat a city with population of about 50 lakh people
• It is the fourth fastest growing city in the world
• It is a place where 80 percent of world’s diamonds are processed
• 40 percent of India’s demand for textiles is met by the city
Surat Municipal Commissioner - Milind Torawane
When: 19 December 2014