Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu on May 16, 2018 launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot ‘IP Nani’. The mascot was launched during a conference on the National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi.
On the same occasion, an anti-piracy video featuring the Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan was also launched.
Mascot IP Nani
IP Nani: A part of National IPR Policy
• Considering that the Intellectual Property Rights (lPRs) are increasingly becoming the crucial drivers of social and economic growth, the Union Cabinet approved the National IPR Policy on May 12, 2016.
• The first and foremost objective of the Policy is “IPR Awareness: Outreach and Promotion”, aimed at raising awareness on IPR for school children to nurture creativity and the ability to innovate from a very young age.
• In this context, the Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), a professional body under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) produced a series of animated videos on IPRs for children with IP Nani as their central character.
• For creating such inspirational videos, CIPAM collaborated with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EU-IPO).
Seven objectives of National IPR Policy
• IPR Awareness: Outreach and Promotion - To create public awareness about the economic, social and cultural benefits of IPRs among all sections of society.
• Generation of IPRs - To stimulate the generation of IPRs.
• Legal and Legislative Framework - To have strong and effective IPR laws, which balance the interests of rights owners with larger public interest.
• Administration and Management - To modernize and strengthen service-oriented IPR administration.
• Commercialization of IPRs - Get value for IPRs through commercialisation.
• Enforcement and Adjudication - To strengthen the enforcement and adjudicatory mechanisms for combating IPR infringements.
• Human Capital Development - To strengthen and expand human resources, institutions and capacities for teaching, training, research and skill building in IPRs.