14 March 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Kochon Prize 2017, Stephen Hawking and India’s first national coastal policing academy among others.
1. Why renowned modern physicist passed away on March 14, 2018?
a) Steven Weinberg
b) Stephen Hawking
c) Jane Goodall
d) Richard Dawkins
2. Which Indian research body won the International Kochon Prize 2017?
3. Which state government has proposed insurance scheme for journalists?
4. Which country’s Supreme Court has barred foreign lawyers and law firms from practicing in the nation?
5. Which country’s cabinet has approved nuclear power program national policy?
d) Saudi Arabia
6. Noted film and television actor Narendra Jha passed away on March 14. Which among the following movies does not feature the late actor?
d) Force 2
7. The Union Government constituted the tribunal to solve Mahanadi Water dispute between Odisha and which state?
a) West Bengal
8. India’s first national coastal policing academy was launched in which State?
9. India offered how much Line of Credit (LoC) to Mauritius for defence procurement?
a) USD 100 million
b) USD 200 million
c) USD 300 million
d) USD 400 million
10. The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) celebrated its 33rd Inception Day on which date?
a) 10 March
b) 11 March
c) 12 March
d) 13 March
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off a train between Varanasi and which city?
12. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) signed MoU with which Bank recently?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Stephen Hawking
Renowned physicist and modern cosmology patron, Stephen Hawking, passed away on March 14, 2018 at his home in Cambridge. He was 76. Hawking’s most notable work has been on the basic laws which govern the universe - including theories about the Big Bang and black holes.
2. (d) ICMR
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has been awarded the International Kochon Prize 2017 for its contribution to the national programme in Tuberculosis research. The ICMR through its TB Consortium accelerated the efforts for research and development on the terminal disease in the country.
3. (c) Assam
The state government of Assam has proposed an insurance scheme for journalists and their families in its latest budget. The scheme would ensure security and protection of the journalists and their families.
4. (d) India
The Supreme Court of India has ruled that foreign law firms cannot set up offices in India but their lawyers could visit in 'fly in and fly out' mode to give legal advice on foreign laws to clients, which would be casual in nature.
5. (d) Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia’s cabinet on March 13, 2018 approved the national policy of the atomic energy program. The national policy includes limiting all nuclear activities to peaceful purposes, within the limits defined by international treaties. Saudi Arabia, the world’s top oil exporter, wants nuclear power to diversify its energy supply mix.
6. (a) Sultan
Noted film and television actor Narendra Jha passed away on March 14, 2018 following a heart attack. He was 55. The actor best is known for his performances in films such as Raees, Kaabil and Haider.
7. (d) Chhattisgarh
The Union Government has constituted a 3-member Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal to adjudicate the dispute between Odisha and Chhattisgarh over sharing the river’s water. Supreme Court Judge AM Khanwilkar will be the Chairman of the tribunal, with Justice Ravi Ranjan of the Patna High Court and Justice Indermeet Kaur Kochhar of the Delhi High Court being the other two members.
8. (c) Gujarat
India’s first national coastal policing academy has been set up in Devbhumi Dwarka district of Gujarat to train police forces in effectively safeguarding the Indian shoreline.
9. (a) USD 100 million
During the visit of President Ram Nath Kovind, India has offered a USD 100 million dollar Line of Credit (LoC) to Mauritius for defence procurement to help its security capacity.
10. (b) 11 March
The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) celebrated its 33rd Inception Day on March 11, 2018 in their newly constructed Complex at Mahipalpur, New Delhi and released “Citizen Services” Mobile APP.
11. (b) Patna
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, flagged off a train between Manduadih Railway Station in Varanasi and Patna.
12. (a) RBI
The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for enhancing cooperation between the two regulators to ensure better implementation of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).