15 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as India’s biggest bank fraud, ADR report on Chief Ministers and new President of Sahitya Akademi among others.
1. According to a new report by London-based global think-tank, India’s budget for which sector has broken into the world’s top five?
d) Space and Technology
2. A giant glasshouse with the world’s rarest plants is set to re-open in which city?
3. Which renowned jewellery designer has been named in India’s biggest bank fraud case?
a) Nirav Modi
b) Poonam Soni
c) Farah Khan Ali
d) Sabyasachi Mukherjee
4. Which Indian bank has detected India’s biggest bank fraud worth over USD 1.8 Billion?
a) State Bank of India
b) Bank of Baroda
c) Punjab National Bank
d) Canara Bank
5. Following increasing pressure and tussle within his own party, the President of this nation decided to resign on February 14, 2018.
d) South Africa
6. Swedish researchers have discovered a tool to fight which terminal illness?
7. The Indian cricket team rose to the top of the ICC ODI Team Rankings by displacing which nation’s cricket team?
b) South Africa
c) Sri Lanka
8. Who was elected as the new president of Sahitya Akademi?
a) Chandrashekhara Kambara
b) Bhalchandra Nemade
c) Pratibha Ray
d) Madhav Koushik
9. According to ADR report on current Chief Ministers of India, which CM is the wealthiest with the highest number of declared assets against his name?
a) Pema Khandu
b) Amarinder Singh
c) Chandrababu Naidu
d) Devendra Fadnavis
10. India recently celebrated the completion of 70 years of bilateral relations in field of agriculture with which nation?
11. Which Chief Minister was found to be the poorest among all the current CMs in the ADR report?
a) Mamata Banerjee
b) Manik Sarkar
c) Mehbooba Mufti
d) Yogi Adityanath
12. Indian army has sent 2,300 personnel to join UN peacekeeping mission in which nation?
c) South Sudan
d) South Korea
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Defence
According to a new report by a London-based global think-tank, India's defence budget has broken into the world's top five, beating the UK for the first time, signaling a key shift in the military balance between the two countries.
2. (b) London
The world's largest Victorian glasshouse in London, UK will once again welcome visitors to see some of the world's rarest plants following a lengthy facelift. The wrought iron and glass structure was designed by esteemed Victorian architect Decimus Burton in 1860 and opened in 1863.
3. (a) Nirav Modi
State-owned lender, Punjab National Bank has suspended 10 of its officers and lodged a complaint against celebrity jewellery designer Nirav Modi for committing fraudulent transactions worth over USD 1.77 billion in one of its Mumbai branches.
4. (c) Punjab National Bank
India’s Punjab National Bank (PNB) on February 14, 2018 stated that it has detected fraudulent transactions worth over Rs 11,300 crore at its Mumbai branch. The bank has reportedly lodged two complaints with the CBI against billionaire jewellery designer Nirav Modi and a jewellery company about fraudulent transactions.
5. (d) South Africa
South Africa's embattled President Jacob Zuma announced his decision to resign through a televised address to the nation on February 14, 2018, after the ruling African National Congress (ANC) party threatened to eject him from office via a parliamentary vote of no confidence.
6. (d) Cancer
According to a new study by Swedish scientists, small molecules that specifically restrain a selenium-containing enzyme in the human body may become an important tool to fight cancer.
7. (b) South Africa
The Indian cricket team rose to the top of the ICC ODI Team Rankings with 122 points after they took a 4-1 lead in the six-match ODI series against South Africa on February 13, 2018. The men in blue were placed second in the ICC team rankings chart with 119 points when they came into the series, two points behind top-ranked South Africa who had 121 points.
8. (a) Chandrashekhara Kambara
Renowned Kannada playwright, poet, novelist and Jnanpith award-winning writer Chandrashekhara Kambara was elected as the President of the Sahitya Akademi on February 12, 2018. He was elected with a clear majority over his opponents, well-known Marathi writer Bhalchandra Nemade and Oriya writer Pratibha Ray.
9. (c) Chandrababu Naidu
The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) has released a report on the financial, educational and criminal background of all the current Chief Ministers. Among them, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu was found to be the wealthiest with declared assets worth over Rs 1,77,48,95,611 crore.
10. (d) Russia
India and Russia on February 14, 2018 celebrated 70 years of bilateral relations in the field of agriculture at Suratgarh in Rajasthan. Scientists from Russia played a huge role in laying the foundation of agriculture in the deserts of Thar, which brought about a major change in the agriculture farming in nearby areas including fringe area of Punjab.
11. (b) Manik Sarkar
The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) has released a report on the financial, educational and criminal background of all the current Chief Ministers. Among them, the lowest declared assets worth Rs 26,83,195 lakh belonged to Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar.
12. (c) South Sudan
Around 2300 Indian army personnel from the Infantry battalion of Garhwal Rifles regiment will be joining the United Nations’ peacekeeping mission in South Sudan, to bring order and normalcy back to the war-torn nation.