16 January 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like new Chief of Staff of Western Naval Command, Rajasthan’s first oil refinery and ban on Khap Panchayats among others.
1. The Power and Irrigation Minister of which state has resigned from his post following opposition backlash over his alleged involvement in sand mining auctions?
d) Uttar Pradesh
2. PM Modi inaugurated project commencement of which state’s first oil refinery?
3. A group of Muhajirs have launched ‘Free Karachi’ campaign in which country?
c) United States
4. Moshe Holtzberg, the toddler who survived the 26/11 terror attacks that took the lives of his parents along with hundreds of others, recently returned to the city for the first time post the attack. Which nation does he originally belong to?
5. Which court termed the attack by Khap panchayats over inter-caste marriage as illegal?
a) Madras HC
b) Supreme Court
c) Delhi HC
d) Bombay HC
6. Recently, a rocked landed inside the Indian embassy premises. The embassy was located in which nation?
b) South Korea
7. Former MLC Narayan Sadashiv Pharande passed away on 16 January after suffering from a cardiac arrest. Pharande was a senior member of which political party?
8. Which country has become the first one to be connected to India’s National Knowledge Network?
a) Sri Lanka
9. Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh has been appointed as the Chief of Staff of which naval command?
a) Western Naval Command
b) Southern Naval Command
c) Eastern Naval Command
d) Coastal Naval Command
10. PM Modi said that the role of business & industry is crucial in transformation of ties between India and which nation?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Punjab
Punjab Power and Irrigation Minister Rana Gurjit Singh has resigned from his post. Singh has been under fire from the Opposition for his alleged involvement in sand mining auctions. He said, he has submitted his resignation to Chief Minister Amarinder Singh and now it is up to him and the party high command to take further action.
2. (d) Rajasthan
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 16 January 2017 inaugurated the project commencement of the Rajasthan oil refinery at Pachpadra in Barmer district of the state. The oil refinery is expected to bring to the state of Rajasthan an additional income of Rs 34000 crores. It is also expected to generate thousands of direct and indirect jobs.
3. (c) United States of America
In the United States, a group of Muhajirs have launched a 'Free Karachi' campaign to highlight the alleged state-sponsored atrocities against their community in Karachi, the port city of Pakistan. The protesters displaying banners took part in the Martin Luther parade in Washington to raise awareness on the alleged state-sponsored atrocities against Muhajirs and other ethnic communities and minorities in Karachi.
4. (b) Israel
Moshe Holtzberg, the Israeli boy who survived the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks as a toddler but lost his parents, returned to Mumbai recently. This is his first visit to the city since the attacks by Pakistani terrorists over nine years ago that killed 166 people.
5. (b) Supreme Court
The Supreme Court on 16 January 2018 termed the attack and interference by Khap panchayat or similar associations against an adult man and woman opting for marriage, especially inter-caste marriage as ‘absolutely illegal’. The court stated that no khap panchayat, individual or society can question an adult man and woman once they decide to get married.
6. (a) Afghanistan
In Afghanistan, a rocket landed in the Indian Embassy premises in Kabul, causing minor damage to a structure, but all the mission staff were reported to be safe. Fortunately, no incidents of fire or casualties were reported in the incident.
7. (b) BJP
Senior BJP leader and former MLC Narayan Sadashiv Pharande passed away in a private hospital in New Delhi on 16 January 2017, after suffering a cardiac arrest. He was 78. Pharande had served as the chairman of the Maharashtra Legislative Council from 1998 to 2004 and also as the BJP state president from 1991 to 1995.
8. (a) Sri Lanka
India and Sri Lanka signed four agreements on 15 January 2018 for collaboration in the Information and communication technology (ICT) sector, setting up of an e-office system and connecting of National Knowledge Network (NKN) for collaboration among universities and academics. With the move, Sri Lanka has become the first country to be connected to India’s NKN through a Gigabyte optical fibre network.
9. (a) Western Naval Command
Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, AVSM, VSM took over as Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command on 15 January 2018. AB Singh would be succeeding Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh, AVSM, NM. Prior to his appointment to the post, Vice Admiral AB Singh served as the Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Strategic Forces Command.
10. (c) Israel
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, while speaking at the India-Israel Business Summit held in New Delhi on 15 January 2018, stated that the role of business and industry is crucial in the transformation of ties between India and Israel. Modi said that it is the combined efforts of the industry of two countries that will add real value to interaction between him and his Israeli counterpart, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.