Top Current Affairs Quiz: 19 April 2018
19 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as World Economic Outlook report, National Clean Air Programme and cashless health scheme among others.
1. As per IMF’s World Economic Outlook (WEO) report, what will be the India’s growth rate for the year 2019?
a) 7.8 percent
b) 7.6 percent
c) 7.4 percent
d) 7.3 percent
2. The first meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under Poshan Abhiyaan began in which city?
b) New Delhi
3. As per the State of Global Air Report 2018, over 95 percent of the world's population is breathing unhealthy air. The report was released by which organisation?
a) World Health Organisation
b) National Green Tribunal
c) Health Effects Institute
d) United Nations
4. NASA launched which mission recently to discover new planets outside the solar system?
5. Which Ministry recently released the draft of the National Clean Air Programme?
a) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
b) Ministry of AYUSH
c) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
d) Ministry of Home Affairs
6. Which portal was launched recently by Union Human Resource Development Ministry to cover all aspects relating to studying in India for foreign students?
a) Invest in India
b) Study in India
c) Educate in India
d) Jobs in India
7. Which state government has launched a cashless health scheme?
c) Uttar Pradesh
8. Which nation has opened its first pubic movie theatre?
b) Saudi Arabia
9. Which state has launched a magazine to spread awareness about hemophilia?
c) Uttar Pradesh
10. Which actress would be heading the Cannes Film Festival jury?
a) Priyanka Chopra
b) Angelina Jolie
c) Meryl Streep
d) Cate Blanchett
11. Former US first lady, Barbara passed away on April 17 at the age of 92. She was the wife of which former US President?
a) George H. W. Bush
b) Bill Clinton
c) George W. Bush
d) Ronald Reagan
12. Which country’s police has announced a crackdown on human trafficking and forced prostitution?
Answers with Explanations
1. (a) 7.8 percent
The International Monetary Fund in the latest World Economic Outlook (WEO) has projected India to grow at growth rate at 7.4 percent in 2018 and 7.8 percent in 2019, up from 6.7 percent in 2017. The report stated that India in 2018 and 2019 would re-emerge as one of the fastest growing major economies.
2. (b) New Delhi
The first meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under Poshan Abhiyaan began in New Delhi on April 18, 2018. The mandate of the National Council on India’s Nutritional Challenges is to provide policy directions to address countries nutritional challenges through coordinated inter-sectoral action.
3. (c) Health Effects Institute
As per the State of Global Air Report 2018, over seven billion people that account for more than 95 percent of the world's population are breathing unhealthy air and live in areas of unsafe air. The report was released by the Health Effects Institute (HEI) on April 17, 2018.
4. (d) TESS
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on April 19, 2018 launched the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), the first-of-its-kind mission to discover planets outside the solar system, including some that could support life.
5. (a) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change on April 17, 2018 released the draft of the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP). The ministry has put up the draft on its website and invited comments from various stakeholders by May 17, 2018. The NCAP is a national action plan that proposes multiple strategies to reduce air pollution.
6. (b) Study in India
Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Minister of State for Human Resource Development Satya Pal Singh jointly launched the Study in India programme of HRD Ministry by launching the ‘Study in India’ portal. Study in India Portal will be a single window to cover all aspects relating to studying in India for foreign students.
7. (a) Assam
Assam government’s new cashless health scheme, 'Atal Amrit Abhiyan' has been launched by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu. The scheme will offer free medical care of up to Rs 2 lakh to every individual belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) and Above Poverty Line (APL) families.
8. (b) Saudi Arabia
The kingdom of Saudi Arabia has opened its first public movie theatre, after over 35 years of prohibition for religious reasons. A special screening of Marvel superhero film ‘Black Panther’ was held in Riyadh, which was attended by Saudi Culture and Information Minister Awwad Alawwad along with Saudi royalty.
9. (b) Gujarat
Gujarat has launched 'Haemophilia Jagruti, a magazine to spread awareness about haemophilia, an inherited bleeding disorder, on the occasion of World Haemophilia Day. The tri-monthly magazine aims to share knowledge and the research being done on the subject.
10. (d) Cate Blanchett
Australian actress Cate Blanchett would be leading the jury of the 71st Cannes Film Festival. Other members of the jury include filmmakers Ava DuVernay and Denis Villeneuve and actors Kristen Stewart and Lea Seydoux. Overall, the jury will include five men and four women from seven nationalities and five continents.
11. (a) George H. W. Bush
Former US first lady Barbara Bush passed away on April 17, 2018 at the age of 92. She was the wife of former US President George HW Bush and mother of another former President George W Bush. As the first lady, from 1989 to 1993, she embraced the cause of universal literacy and founded a foundation for family literacy.
12. (c) Germany
The German police raided sites across the country on April 18, 2018 in a crackdown on human trafficking and forced prostitution. The raid, which also involved Germany's GSG9 special operations police unit, represented the biggest mass search in the history of the nation’s police.