Top Current Affairs Quiz: 20 August 2019
The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new CAPF retirement age, PM Modi to be honoured with 'Order of Zaid’, India using water as a weapon and DTC task force recommendations among others.
20 August 2019: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new CAPF retirement age, PM Modi to be honoured with 'Order of Zaid’, India using water as a weapon and DTC task force recommendations among others.
1. What will be the retirement age of the Central Armed Police Force personnel as per the order issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs?
2. Which nation accused India of waging "fifth-generation warfare” by using water as a weapon?
d) United States
3. Whose 75th birth anniversary was observed on August 20, 2019?
a) Rajiv Gandhi
b) Jawaharlal Nehru
c) A P J Abdul Kalam
d) Narendra Modi
4. The Direct Tax Code (DTC) task force has recommended a major cut in corporate tax for both domestic and foreign companies. What is the newly recommended corporate tax rate?
a) 25 percent
b) 30 percent
c) 15 percent
d) 20 percent
5. Which glacier in Iceland has lost its identity due to climate change?
6. Which country will be bestowing its highest civilian award 'Order of Zaid’ upon Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi?
7. Former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has recently been elected as a member of Rajya Sabha from which state?
d) Uttar Pradesh
8. The music composer of films like 'Umrao Jaan', 'Bazaar', 'Kabhi Kabhi' passed away recently. What was his name?
a) Omar Abdul Bhatt
b) Mohammad Khayyam
c) Amzad Hussain
d) None of the above
9. Which country described recent US missile test as 'escalation of military tensions'?
a) North Korea
d) South Korea
10. Which court has agreed to hear Facebook’s plea for transfer of Aadhaar- social media linking cases?
a) Delhi MC
b) Allahabad HC
c) Supreme Court
d) Madras HC
1. (c) 60
As per the order issued by Union Home Ministry, all personnel of the forces, the Border Security Force, Sashastra Seema Bal, Central Reserve Police Force and Indo-Tibetan Border Police will retire at the age of 60, instead of 57 years.
2. (b) Pakistan
Pakistan accused India of waging "fifth-generation warfare” by using water as a weapon on August 19. Pakistan claimed that India failed to inform it about the release of excess water from a dam over River Satluj, which could cause flooding in the nation.
3. (a) Rajiv Gandhi
Former Prime Minister of India, late Rajiv Gandhi’s 75th birth anniversary was observed on August 20, 2019. Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20, 1944 in Mumbai. The Indian National Congress observes the day as 'Sadbhavna Divas'.
4. (a) 25 percent
The Direct Tax Code (DTC) task force has recommended a major cut in the corporate tax for both domestic and foreign companies. The panel has proposed reducing the tax from earlier 30 percent for large companies and 40 percent for foreign companies to an even rate of 25 percent for both domestic and foreign companies.
5. (a) Okjokull
Iceland unveiled a plaque to its Okjokull ice sheet, the first of the country’s hundreds of glaciers to melt away due to climate change. Scientists see the shrinking of glaciers as one of many warning signs that the earth’s climate is lurching toward dangerous tipping points.
6. (c) UAE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be travelling to the UAE and Bahrain from 23-25th August. During the visit, PM Modi will receive the 'Order of Zayed', the highest civil decoration of the UAE, which was conferred to him in April 2019.
7. (a) Rajasthan
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh got elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan after the opposition BJP failed to field a candidate against him. The bypoll was necessitated by the death of BJP parliamentarian Madan Lal Saini.
8. (b) Mohammad Khayyam
Veteran music director of India Mohammed Zahur Khayyam, known as Khayyam, passed away on August 19, 2019. He was 92. Khayyam was best known for his music in movies like Kabhi Kabhi and Umrao Jaan. Mohammed Zahur Khayyam was honoured with the National Film Award for his work in Umrao Jaan.
9. (c) Russia
Russia said on August 20, 2019 that the United States was escalating military tensions by testing a medium-range cruise missile weeks after tearing up a pact with Russia. The tested missile was not nuclear equipped.
10. (c) Supreme Court
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the plea of Facebook for transfer of cases related to demands for linking of user-profiles with Aadhaar that are pending before the Madras High Court, Bombay HC and Madhya Pradesh HC to the apex court.