Top Current Affairs Quiz: 30 August 2019
The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new bank mergers, establishment of first Space Command and Assam NRC among others.
30 August 2019: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new bank mergers, establishment of first Space Command and Assam NRC among others.
1. Which three banks will be merged into a single entity to form the 2nd largest bank of India?
a) PNB, OBC & United Bank of India
b) Indian Bank, OBC, Syndicate Bank
c) Allahabad Bank, Canara Bank & PNB
d) PNB, Corporation Bank & Bank of India
2. Which nation has launched its own Space Command?
c) United States
3. Who among the following cricketers has come out of his retirement and made himself available for all formats?
a) Shoaib Malik
b) Yuvraj Singh
c) Ambati Rayudu
d) Hashim Amla
4. Which of the following banks will not be merged and will continue to work individually?
a) Allahabad Bank
b) Bank of India
c) Andhra bank
d) Union Bank of India
5. Which regional bank has not been merged with another bank recently?
a) Bank of Maharashtra
b) Andhra Bank
c) Allahabad Bank
d) Corporation Bank
6. Which state government has banned wearing of jeans and T-shirts by the employees in the state secretariat?
7. How many 'foreign tribunals' have been formed in Assam to complain if names are excluded in NRC list?
8. Which among the following is the first country in the world to issue a Biometric seafarers Identification Document (BSID) by collecting facial biometric data of seafarers?
9. The UGC has constituted a high-level committee to inquire the alleged sale of fake degrees by universities. The committee will comprise how many members?
10. Which historical monument has started the baby-feeding room facility for the first time in India?
a) Taj Mahal
b) Qutub Minar
c) Red Fort
d) Nahargarth Fort
1. (a) PNB, OBC & United Bank of India
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on August 30, 2019 announced the merger of several banks under the Bank Consolidation plan. Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank of India will be merged as one single entity. Punjab National Bank will be the anchor bank.
2. (c) United States
US President Donald Trump launched the US Space Command on August 29, 2019. Trump announced the establishment of the space command as the newest US military combatant command in a ceremony at the Rose Garden, White House.
3. (c) Ambati Rayudu
Ambati Rayudu, who had announced his retirement on July 3, made a u-turn and said that he would like to come out of retirement on August 30, 2019. Ambati Rayudu wrote a letter to Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA), in which he said, "I would like to bring to your notice that I would like to come out of retirement and play cricket in all formats.”
4. (b) Bank of India
Ten big banks have been merged into four Public Sector Banks. These are Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank of India, Indian Bank, Allahabad Bank, Canara Bank, Syndicate Bank, Union Bank of India, Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank. However, Bank of India and Central Bank of India banks will continue to work as independent body to strengthen national presence.
5. (a) Bank of Maharashtra
As per the banking reforms announced by Finance Ministry recently, four regional banks will continue to work independently to strengthen the regional focus. These are: Indian Overseas Bank, UCO Bank, Bank of Maharashtra and Punjab & Sind Bank.
6. (a) Bihar
Bihar Government has imposed a ban on wearing of T-shirts and jeans by the employees in the state secretariat. The government has ordered the employees to wear decent, simple, sober and comfortable clothes in the office.
7. (c) 1000
1,000 Foreign Tribunals have been set up to assist foreigners in Assam with the help of the Central Government. The NRC for Assam or National Register of Citizens for Assam will be published on August 31, 2019.
8. (b) India
The new document will give a foolproof identification to Indian seafarers which will facilitate their movement and help in identifying them from any location in the world.
9. (a) Five
The UGC has set up a five-member committee to look into the allegations of sale of fake degrees by certain universities. The committee was set up on the orders of the Union HRD Ministry. The is required to complete its investigation in three weeks.
10. (a) Taj Mahal
The iconic Taj Mahal monument has introduced a baby-feeding facility. It is the first baby feeding room to open at any Indian monument. It's a 12-by-12 feet room within the Taj Mahal campus. The nursing room at Taj Mahal could be the first of a series of such centres at other monuments.