7 March 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as first all women railway station, India’s biggest oil supplier and new CM of Meghalaya among others.
1. Which nation has decided to set 15 years as legal age of sexual consent after public uproar?
2. Chandragiri has become the first ‘all women’ railway station in which state?
b) Andhra Pradesh
3. According to UNICEF, the sharpest decline in child marriages has happened in which nation in the last 10 years?
d) Sri Lanka
4. Which country has become India’s biggest oil supplier in the current financial year?
a) Saudi Arabia
5. Which state government has launched the free sanitary napkin scheme ‘Khushi’ for girl students across the state?
6. The Union Government has launched which app for highway users?
a) Sukhad Yatra
b) Yatra Susheel
7. RBI recently tightened the priority sector lending norms for which banks?
a) Foreign Banks
b) Public Sector Banks
c) Private Sector Banks
d) Regional Rural Banks
8. Who was sworn-in as Chief Minister of Meghalaya?
a) TR Zeliang
b) Conrad Sangma
c) Ganga Prasad
d) Pema Khandu
9. The Indian Navy is hosting the multi-national series of exercises MILAN 2018 at which place?
a) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
b) Daman & Diu
c) Lakshadweep Islands
d) Bay of Bengal
10. Which committee was constituted by the Union Government to study issues in Fintech space?
a) BR Garg committee
b) Ajit Doval committee
c) Subhash Chandra Garg committee
d) Mahesh Rawat committee
11. Which war game was conducted by Indian Navy recently?
12. The 7-member expert committee constituted by Karnataka government recommended “religious minority” status for which community?
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) France
France has decided to make 15 years as the legal age of sexual consent following a public outcry over two cases of sex involving 11-year-old girls. The issue was brought up after critics and lawmakers criticised the French law for allowing two men to escape rape charges after being accused of sex with underage girls.
2. (b) Andhra Pradesh
The South Central Railway (SCR) management on March 6, 2018 named the Chandragiri station in Guntakal Division, near Tirupati as the first ‘all-women railway station’ in Andhra Pradesh. The main aim behind the initiative is to empower the women work force in the Indian railways and develop their morale and self-confidence.
3. (a) India
The United Nations children's agency (UNICEF) stated on March 6, 2018 that India has seen a sharp decline in child marriages over the last ten years with only 27 per cent of girls getting married before 18 years in comparison to 47 per cent a decade back.
4. (b) Iraq
Iraq has become India’s biggest crude oil supplier by overtaking Saudi Arabia with a wide margin in this current financial year. Iraq supplied 38.9 million tonnes (MT) of oil, which was more than 20% of country’s oil needs. In the first 10 months (April 2017-January 2018) of the current fiscal year, Saudi Arabia supplied 30.9 MT of crude oil to India.
5. (a) Odisha
The Odisha government has launched the free sanitary napkin scheme ‘Khushi’ for girl students from Class 6 to 12 in all the government and government-aided schools in the state. The scheme will be implemented by the health and family welfare department of the state at a cost of Rs 70 crore per year.
6. (a) Sukhad Yatra
The Union Transport Minister, Nitin Gadkari launched a new mobile application called ‘Sukhad Yatra’ for highway users on March 7, 2018 in New Delhi. The app will enable users to enter road quality-related information or report any accident or pothole on the highway and also provide them with real-time data of expected waiting time at plazas across the highway.
7. (a) Foreign Banks
The RBI has tightened the priority sector lending (PSL) norms for foreign banks by directing them to mandatorily create sub-targets so that they lend a portion of their loans to small and marginal farmers as well as micro enterprises from April 2018. The move is directed at foreign banks with over 20 branches.
8. (b) Conrad Sangma
Conrad Sangma, the President of National People's Party (NPP), was on March 6, 2018 sworn-in as the 12th Chief Minister of Meghalaya. Sangma is the youngest son of former Lok Sabha Speaker late PA Sangma.
9. (a) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Indian Navy is hosting the multi-national MILAN series of exercises under the theme of ‘Friendship Across the Seas’ at Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar islands from March 6 to March 13, 2018.
10. (c) Subhash Chandra Garg committee
The Union government has set up a steering committee to consider various issues relating to the development of Fintech space in India with a view to make Fintech related regulations more flexible and generate enhanced entrepreneurship.
11. (d) ENCORE
The Indian Navy concluded a gruelling two-month long War Game on 28 February 2018. The extensive War Games saw the participation of all the operational ships, submarines and aircraft of the Navy along with men and equipment of the Army. The War Game on the Eastern seaboard was codenamed ENCORE (Eastern Naval Command Operational Readiness Exercise).
12. (b) Lingayats
The seven-member expert committee, constituted by the State government to examine the demand for a separate religion tag for Lingayats, submitted a report recommending “religious minority” status to the community.