The United States of America on 9 November 2016 chose Republican candidate Donald J Trump as its new President elect. Trump defeated Democrat opponent Hillary Clinton with a massive sweep in votes.
Trump’s victory speech surprisingly courteous in comparison with the ones delivered previously commenced with paying gratitude to opponent Clinton for her service to the nation. He also congratulated her and her family for a very hard-fought campaign.
Trump’s speech had several other surprising elements like the call for unity between parties and among Republicans. He also made the promise of getting along with all the nations willing to get along with the US.
Apart from this, he also spoke about rebuilding the infrastructure of the US and making its economy the strongest in the world.
Some unknown facts about the new president elect
• Trump went from being a complete bankrupt to a billionaire:
- In 1994, he had to pay 900 million US dollar in personal debt. His 3.5 billion US dollar empire was largely reduced due to business debts and he had to give up Trump Shuttle- his ambitious airline venture.
- He now owns two of the most surreal real estate properties-Trump World Tower, tallest (90 stories) residential building in the world and Trump Palace, 18-bedroom waterfront palace in Palm beach, which is also the most expensive real estate in the country.
• This is not the first time Trump expressed interest in running for US presidency. He did so in 1999 on a ticket from the Reform party but did not eventually.
• He was sent to a military academy at the age of 13.
• He has written at least 50 books. His first book titled ‘The Art of the Deal’ was published in 1987. It was followed by several others including ‘Trump: The Best Real Estate Advice I Ever Received: 100 Top Experts Share Their Strategies’ and ‘Ten Secrets I Learned from the Apprentice’.
• He had his own board game. Titled Trump, the monopoly-like game was launched in 1989 and was discontinued later following poor sales.
• His elder brother Fred struggled with alcoholism and passed away so he does not drink and smoke.
• His role as the producer of NBC’s ‘The Apprentice’ earned him a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
• He is a germaphobe and dislikes shaking hands.
• He sued a hacker, J. Taikwok Yung in 2013 for buying more than 200 domain names that used his name.
Though for the world Trump’s win came as a shocker, ‘The Simpsons’ predicted it years back. One of the show’s episodes titled ‘Bart to the Future’, which was aired in 2000, showed a fictionalized Trump in a disastrous presidency that ultimately left the entire nation bankrupt.
Besides this, a fish in Chennai called ‘Chanakya’ also predicted a Trump triumph, hours before the polling began.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.