University Grants Commission (UGC) on 2 July 2015 accorded special Heritage Status on 19 Colleges across the country. These include St Xavier’s College, Mumbai and Fergusson College, Pune among others.
The Heritage status was granted to institutions across the country with an aim of conserving college campuses which are more than 100 years old. The UGC also approved financial assistance for the improvement and upgradation of these 19 colleges.
List of 19 Heritage Colleges
• St Xavier's College, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
• Ferguson College, Pune (Maharashtra)
• Hislop College, Nagpur(Maharashtra)
• Midnapore College (West Bengal)
• St Xavier's College, Kolkata (West Bengal)
• Khalsa College, Amritsar (Punjab)
• Kanya Mahavidyalya, Jalandhar (Punjab)
• CMS College, Kottayam (Kerala)
• Government Brennan College, Thalassery (Kerala)
• Old Agra College, Agra (Uttar Pradesh)
• Meerut College, Meerut (Uttar Pradesh)
• St Joseph College, Tiruchirappalli (Tamil Nadu)
• St Bede's College, Shimla (Himachal Pradesh)
• Langat Singh College, Muzaffarpur (Bihar)
• University College, Mangalore (Karnataka)
• Cotton College, Guwahati (Assam)
• Government Medical Science College, Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh)
• Gandhi Memorial Science College, Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir)
• DAV College, Ambala (Haryana)
The Commission invited proposals from colleges for the heritage tag under the Heritage College Scheme and had received 60 proposals. Out of the 60 proposals, a Selection Committee approved granting of the status to 19 colleges.
Moreover, a varied financial assistance was also approved for these colleges and they can use the grants for conservation work of the campus and for specialised courses.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App