The Union Cabinet in January 2017 gave its ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Vietnam in the field of cyber security.
The approval was given at a meeting of the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
The MoU was signed between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and the Cyber Security Department of Vietnam on 3 September 2016 at Hanoi in Vietnam.
The MoU seeks to promote closer cooperation for exchange of knowledge and experience in detection, resolution and prevention of cyber security-related incidents between India and Vietnam.
Implementation of the MoU will result in significant mutual benefits in the cyber security sector through institutional and capacity-building in Vietnam.
• India-Vietnam relations have been exceptionally friendly and cordial since their foundations were laid by Prime Minister Nehru and President Ho Chi Minh more than 50 years ago.
• The traditionally close and cordial relations have their historical roots in the common struggle for liberation from foreign rule and the national struggle for independence.
• Former Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru was one of the first visitors to Vietnam after its victory against the French in 1954.
• In the past few years, political contacts have strengthened between both the countries. This trend is reflected in several high-level visits by leaders from both sides.
• Trade and economic linkages have seen an upsurge in recent years.
• India's initiatives under the Act East Policy is in sync with Vietnam's growing engagement within the region and with India has paid rich dividends to both the countries.
• Vietnam is an important regional partner in the South East Asia for India.
• India and Vietnam closely cooperate in various multilateral forums such as the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), East Asia Summit, Mekong Ganga Cooperation and Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM).
• Vietnam is also an important pillar amongst India’s Cambodia, Laos PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV) partners.
When: January 2017