Union Cabinet approved MoU between India and Vietnam in the field of cyber security
India's relations with Vietnam are marked by growing economic and commercial engagement. India is among the top ten trading partners of Vietnam.
The Union Cabinet in January 2017 gave its ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Vietnam in the field of cyber security.
The approval was given at a meeting of the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
The MoU was signed between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and the Cyber Security Department of Vietnam on 3 September 2016 at Hanoi in Vietnam.
The MoU seeks to promote closer cooperation for exchange of knowledge and experience in detection, resolution and prevention of cyber security-related incidents between India and Vietnam.
Implementation of the MoU will result in significant mutual benefits in the cyber security sector through institutional and capacity-building in Vietnam.
• India-Vietnam relations have been exceptionally friendly and cordial since their foundations were laid by Prime Minister Nehru and President Ho Chi Minh more than 50 years ago.
• The traditionally close and cordial relations have their historical roots in the common struggle for liberation from foreign rule and the national struggle for independence.
• Former Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru was one of the first visitors to Vietnam after its victory against the French in 1954.
• In the past few years, political contacts have strengthened between both the countries. This trend is reflected in several high-level visits by leaders from both sides.
• Trade and economic linkages have seen an upsurge in recent years.
• India's initiatives under the Act East Policy is in sync with Vietnam's growing engagement within the region and with India has paid rich dividends to both the countries.
• Vietnam is an important regional partner in the South East Asia for India.
• India and Vietnam closely cooperate in various multilateral forums such as the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), East Asia Summit, Mekong Ganga Cooperation and Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM).
• Vietnam is also an important pillar amongst India’s Cambodia, Laos PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV) partners.