The Union Cabinet on March 21, 2018 gave approval for moving official amendments in the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016.
Once the Bill is enacted by the Parliament, the National Surrogacy Board will be constituted. While, the States and Union Territories will constitute the State Surrogacy Board and State Appropriate Authorities within three months of the notification by the Union Government.
Provisions of the Bill
• The Bill proposes to regulate surrogacy in India by establishing National Surrogacy Board at the central level.
• It proposes to establish State Surrogacy Boards and Appropriate Authorities in the States and Union Territories.
• It ensures effective regulation of surrogacy, prohibits commercial surrogacy and allows altruistic surrogacy to the needy Indian infertile couples.
• The Bill will apply to whole of India, except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
Significance of the Bill
• Once the Bill becomes an Act, it will legalise the surrogacy services in the country and will control the immoral practices in surrogacy.
• It will prevent commercialization of surrogacy including sale and purchase of human embryo and gametes.
• It will prohibit potential exploitation of surrogate mothers and children born through surrogacy.
• It will allow ethical surrogacy to the needy infertile couples upon the fulfilment of certain conditions and for specific purposes.
• It will protect the rights of surrogate mother and children born out of surrogacy.
The Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on November 21, 2016. The Bill was later referred to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare on January 12, 2017.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee held various meetings with Stakeholders, Ministries and Departments, NGO's, medical professionals, researchers, commissioning parents and surrogate mothers to receive their suggestions.
After a thorough study, the Committee tabled its 102nd Report on Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 in the Lok Sabha on August 10, 2017.
Who: Union Cabinet