Union Government accepted Bezbaruah panel report on safety of North East people
Union Government accepted recommendations of Bezbaruah Committee, set up to look into the concerns of the people of the North East living in other parts of India.
Union Government on 2 January 2014 accepted the recommendations of the Bezbaruah committee. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that the recommendations will be implemented in next 6 months.
The Bezbaruah committee of five members was set up under chairmanship of M P Bezbaruah in February 2014 to look into the concerns of the people of the North East living in other parts of the country.
The committee was constituted after the killing of Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Tania in a Delhi market. The report was submitted to the Home Ministry in July 2014.
Main recommendations of the committee
• It has recommended immediate, short term and long term measures to be implemented in certain time periods
a) Immediate – to be implemented within 6 months to 1 year
b) Short Term – to be implemented within a period of 1 to 1.5 years
c) Long Term – to be implemented within a period of 1.5 years to 3 years
• The committee has recommended amendment of Section 153 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) as the second alternative
• Insertion of a new law in Indian Penal Code to deal with the rising against people of this region. The new law should include among others
a) Any offence against them should be made cognizable and non-bailable.
b) It also says that the investigation of the FIR should be completed in 60 days
c) A Special Prosecutor should be appointed to handle all such cases atrocities
d) The trail should be completed within 90 days
• Legal awareness training for the North East Representative from eight North East States
• It also recommended for setting up Relief Corpus Fund for helping heinous crime victims
Short Term Measures:
• Use of information technology to reach large number of people from North East India
• Sensitising law enforcement agencies about the culture and needs of the North East people
• Comprehensive computer database to keep tab on people from North East
• Promotion of Sports from North East India to establish bond with rest of India
Long Term Measures:
• Committee had recommended the Union Government to initiate debate on anti-racial laws
• Establishment of North East Centre in Delhi
Measures announced by Union Government
Any derogatory remark relating to race, culture or physical appearance of people of North Eastern states can land a person in jail for up to five years.
Apart from this, the Union Government has decided to provide legal assistance to people of North East by Delhi Legal State Services Authority. For the purpose a panel of seven lawyers including five women members has been constituted.
To increase representation of people of North Eastern states in force, the government has advised to Delhi police to recruit 20 police personnel to recruit 20 police personnel from each Northeastern States. The government has also decided that the Delhi Government will provide compensation and financial assistance to people of the reason who fall prey to violence.