Union Government launched attendance.gov.in website to monitor attendance of staff
The Union Government on 7 October 2014 launched a website attendance.gov.in.
The Union Government on 7 October 2014 launched a website attendance.gov.in to monitor the attendance of government employees in real time.
The move is aimed at increasing transparency and accountability. The government launched the attendance system as part of its Digital India programme.
Highlights of the website
• The website attendance.gov.in uses an Aadhaar-enabled biometric attendance system to track employees from the cabinet secretariat to Border Road Organization. It provides a graphical representation of attendance in real time.
• The information which can be found on the website are attendance, over time, the number of registered employees and number of employees present.
• A back-end administrator will check the details submitted by the organisation and make the organisation active by assigning it a unique sub-domain which will be the first name of the website.
Biometric attendance system
• A common Biometric Attendance System is implemented in central government offices in Delhi.
• Employees will mark attendance through biometric terminals from now onwards.
• The employees will be required to enter their 6-digit Attendance ID on the terminal and subsequently the system will ask for finger print verification.
• The 6 digit number will be generated based on the last 6 or first 6 digits of the individual's Aadhaar number.
• Since network connectivity is essential for marking attendance, the government is planning two types of connectivity with each attendance terminal- wi-fi on broadband and SIM based GSM connectivity on tablets.
So far, 148 central government organizations have opted for the Biometric Attendance System while fewer than 50000 employees have registered for it. The implementation of the system is a work in progress and all employees are yet to adopt the system.