Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari launched ethanol-run environment-friendly public buses in Nagpur on 22 August 2014. These buses were launched as India's first pilot “The Green Bus project” to test ethanol-run buses.
It was claimed that the carbon-dioxide emissions from the bus will be as low as 75 per cent to 90 per cent - depending on the purity of ethanol. The Union government, Maharashtra state government and Nagpur Municipal Corporation will monitor the emissions of the new bus.
Ethanol-run bus project would help to reduce India’s petroleum product imports.India imports petrol, diesel and gas worth over six lakh crore rupees each year and can reduce the imports by at least two lakh crore rupees by using alternative fuels. Ethanol-run bus project is the first initiative in this direction.
About Ethanol-Run Bus
• Bus maker company Scania Commercial Vehicle India Ltd of Sweden has manufactured this bus which runs on using Ethanol as the fuel.
• The company says the out of all renewable biofuel options, ethanol is the most cost effective one in terms of availability, infrastructure and accessibility.
• Scania also introduced an engine complying with Bharat Stage 5 Norms, which is a huge step to minimize the emissions further.
• The green fuel also conserves environment by reducing pollution.
• Ethanol also called ethyl alcohol. It is the pure alcohol and is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid.
• It is commonly referred to simply as alcohol or spirits
• Ethanol can be produced here in large quantities in India, and it will reduce the dependence on traditional fossil fuels.
• Ethanol is produced from molasses, a by-product of sugar mills.
• It is also used in thermometers, as a solvent, as an antiseptic and as a fuel.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
When: 22 August 2014