Union Government launched Swachhta Udyami Yojana – Swachhta Se Sampannta ki Aur of National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation. The scheme was launched by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Sudarshan Bhagat on 2 October 2014.
The Scheme has twin objective of cleanliness and providing livelihood to Safai Karamcharis and liberated Manual Scavengers to achieve the overall goal of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
About the Scheme
• The Scheme provides financial assistance to Safai Karamcharis and identified Manual Scavengers for Construction, Operation and Maintenance of community toilets in Public Private Partnership (PPP) Mode and for Purchase of Sanitation related Vehicles.
• The entrepreneurs of the target group may also avail assistance for purchase of vehicles such as Jetting and Suction machines, Vacuum Loaders, Garbage collection and disposal vehicles etc.
• Beneficiaries can also take contracts from the Municipalities to operate these vehicles in areas under their jurisdiction.
• Beneficiaries will be provided loan at a very concessional rate of interest of 3-4 percent per annum. The maximum amount allowed for construction toilets and for procurement of sanitation related vehicles will be 25 lakhs rupees and 15 lakhs rupees respectively.
• Each identified Manual Scavenger will be provided capital subsidy upto 3.25 lakhs rupees.
When: 2 October 2014