Union Government launched TARANG, e-Trans & DEEP to enhance transparency in power sector
They were developed by Rural Electrification Corporation Transmission Projects Company Limited (RECTPCL), a subsidiary of Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd., under the Digital India initiative.
Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines Piyush Goyal on 17 August 2016 launched TARANG Mobile App, e-Trans and DEEP e-bidding web portals in New Delhi.
They were developed by Rural Electrification Corporation Transmission Projects Company Limited (RECTPCL), a subsidiary of REC Ltd.
The initiatives were launched keeping in line with the Digital India initiative. The primarily seek to enhance transparency in power sector.
Features of TARANG
• It stands for Transmission App for Real Time Monitoring and Growth.
• The mobile application as well as the web portal will act as powerful monitoring tool to track upcoming transmission projects.
• It will also be utilized to monitor the progress of inter-state and intra-state transmission systems in the country.
• It helps the stakeholders - Ministry of Power, State Governments, all private sector transmission developers and PSUs like Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. for expeditious completion of such projects.
• Green Energy Corridors, an important component of renewable energy mission, would also be monitored through TARANG and help to meet ambitious targets in same on time.
• It shall enhance ease, accountability and transparency and would boost confidence of investors in power transmission sector.
• Better price discovery shall ultimately benefit the power consumers in India.
• It was developed through Regulated tariff mechanism as well as Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB) route.
Features of e-Trans
• It is a web platform for e-bidding and e-reverse auction for Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB) in transmission projects.
• Till date, transmission sector providers have been participating in transmission bids through manual mode.
• With e-Trans, the interface will be electronic.
• On the lines of coal sector, reverse auction is being introduced in transmission sector to facilitate better price discovery in transmission projects.
Features of DEEP
• DEEP stands for Discovery of Efficient Electricity Price.
• It is an e-Bidding portal for medium term (1-5 years) purchase of power.
• It will provide a common e-bidding platform with e-reverse auction facility to facilitate nation-wide power procurement through a wider network.
• It facilitates realization of uniform and transparent process of power procurement.
• With this, the cost of procurement of power is expected to be reduced substantially, thereby significantly benefiting the ultimate consumers.
• The Portal is based on the Guidelines for Medium Term procurement of Power which was notified by Union Government in 2014 and further amended on May 2015.
• The scope of this portal shall be further expanded to cover long term procurement of power.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App