The Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy (PCIM&H) and the United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) on 24 August 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for co-operation in traditional medicine.
The MoU was signed by Rajiv Kumar Sharma, Director of PCIM & H and Dr KV Surendra Nath, Senior Vice President, Global Sites, USP.
Highlights of the MoU
• It aims at collaborating, identifying, and development and dissemination of science-based standards in medicines field.
• It will promote the safety, quality and integrity of traditional medicines and botanical dietary supplements.
• It will improve public health in India, US and worldwide by working together to increase awareness and understanding of traditional and herbal medicines, botanical dietary supplements and their products.
• It will help to harmonize the Pharmacopeia in terms of international conventions.
About Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy (PCIM&H)
• The PCIM&H comes under the AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddhant and Homeopathy) Ministry.
• It is an autonomous organisation with a primary mandate to develop pharmacopoeial standards for drugs and formulations used under AYUSH.
On the other hand, United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a global health organisation and its public standards provide scientifically validated test methods and cover over 250 botanical ingredients and dosage forms including ashwagandha, turmeric, turmeric extract and others.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Signed MoU
When: 24 August 2016