The Union Ministry of Rural Development signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Digital Green on 28 January 2014. The MoU was signed to exchange the relevant livelihood practices among rural communities under the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM).
About Digital Green
Digital Green is an international, non-profit development organization and it is supported by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ford Foundation, and Government of India.
• It is an innovative ICT-based approach focusses on low-cost and effective, peer-to-peer learning processes which seek to empower poor households for increasing productivity and incomes sustainably
• It works with partners to effectively exchange relevant livelihood practices among rural communities using locally produced videos and mediated dissemination
• It aims to provide strategic direction, management, and coordination of the development, successful implementation, and monitoring of Digital Green's livelihood-related activities.
• It builds on the existing extension systems of public, private, and civil society organizations and strengthens them to be more effective and efficient.
• It coordinates stakeholder workshops and training activities
About National Rural Livelihood Mission
• Aajeevika or National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) was launched by the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) in June 2011.
• NRLM is the biggest programme for women empowerment in India.
• NRLM aims to cover rural poor households through self-managed Self Help Groups (SHGs) and federated institutions and support them for livelihoods collectives.
• NRLM believes in harnessing the innate capabilities of the poor and complements them with capacities (information, knowledge, skills, tools, finance and collectivization) to participate in the economic growth.
When: 28 January 2014