Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejunivetion Uma Bharti on 5 June 2015 launched nationwide Jal Kranti Abhiyan (campaign) from Jaipur, Rajasthan.
The aim is to consolidate water conservation and management in the country through a holistic and integrated approach involving all stakeholders, making it a mass movement.
Objective of the campaign
• To strengthen grass root involvement of all stake holders including Panchyati raj institutions and local bodies in the water security and development schemes like participatory Irrigation Management (PIM).
• To encourage the adoption of traditional knowledge in water resource conservation and its management
• To utilize sector-level expertise from different levels in government, NGOs, citizen, etc
• Enhancing livelihood security through water security in rural areas
Strategies for implementation of campaign
On the broad level, the campaign envisages following strategies
• Use of modern techniques coupled with traditional wisdom for devising area/region specific innovative measures for increasing water security
• Revival of traditional knowledge and sources for water conservation and utilization
• Encouraging conjuctive use of surface and groundwater
• Rainwater harvesting for recharge to be made mandatory for residential, commercial and industrial buildings/premises
• Promotion social regulation for meeting the demand as well as for optimizing the use-efficiency of water for various purposed especially industry, agriculture and domestic
Activities under the campaign
• The scheme also provides for a Sujalam Card with the logo Water Saved, Water Produced. These cards will provide annual status and information about the quality of drinking water available for a Jal Gram, a village with acute water scarcity.
• Further, the campaign also provides for Jal Mitra, a cadre of local water professionals, which will be created by imparting them suitable training to create mass awareness about water scarcity.
• The campaign also envisages a Model Command Area (MCA) of about 1000 hectare in a State that shall be identified and selected from an ongoing irrigation project in the State. The selection of MCA will be done by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejunivetion in consultation with State Governments.
• It also envisages Dedicated Programme for construction of Arsenic Free Wells in selected areas and capacity building of the officers of the State Water Supply Agencies and other stakeholders particularly W.U.A’s and farmers.
• Tailor made awareness campaigns designed to address problems and suggest solutions to meet the requirements of each segment of the society under the continuing scheme of Information, Education and Communication.
On the pilot basis, the project will run in one water stressed village in each 672 districts of the country. Success of the campaign will be reviewed after one or one and a half year. The project will be implemented till the objective of solving water problems in every house and farm is achieved.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: From Jaipur
When: 5 June 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.