Urjit R Patel on 4 September 2016 assumed charge as the 24th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
The handover ceremony will take place on 6 September 2016.
Patel had been serving as the Deputy Governor since January 2013.
Patel succeeds Raghuram Rajan, who after serving a three-year term, is going back to academia.
On 20 August 2016, the appointment committee of cabinet approved the appointment of Patel for three years.
About Urjit R Patel
• Urjit Patel headed a panel that recommended landmark changes to monetary policy in India. The changes included a switch to inflation-targeting and the creation of a panel to set interest rates.
• In January 2016, he was reappointed as the Deputy Governor in Charge of monetary policy, the department he headed from 2013.
• Earlier between 1990 and 1995, he had worked with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) covering US, India, Bahamas and Myanmar.
• He carries a doctorate from Yale University.
• He also carries M Phil from Oxford.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App