Former Union Minister Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu has sworn in as the 13th Vice President of India on 11 August 2017. He has been administered the oath of office and secrecy by President Ram Nath Kovind at a special function at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
After the ceremony, Naidu took charge as the Chairman of Rajya Sabha at Parliament House and presided over the proceedings in the Upper House.
Before proceeding to the Parliament House this morning, Naidu paid tributes to Mahatma Gandhi at Raj Ghat, Deen Dayal Upadhyay at DDU Park and Sardar Patel at Patel Chowk.
Naidu was elected as the Vice President on 5 August 2017 by defeating opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi.
About Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu
• Born on 1 July 1949 at Chavatapalem, in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, Naidu acquired a bachelor’s degree in law with a specialisation in international law from Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
• During his college days, he was elected as the president of the students union of colleges affiliated to his University and joined RSS and ABVP.
• Naidu came into the spotlight for his prominent role in the Jai Andhra Movement and for his contribution in Jayaprakash Narayan Chhatra Sangharsh Samiti.
• Before being elected to the second highest constitutional post of the country, Naidu has held several positions and carried his successful political career during his three-decade long public life.
• He has served as national president of BJP from 2002 to 2004.
• In the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Government, he was the Union Cabinet Minister for Rural Development.
• In present, Narendra Modi led government Naidu served as the Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs, Parliamentary Affairs and Information and Broadcasting.
Who: Venkaiah Naidu
Where: Rashtrapati Bhavan
When: 11 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider