Veteran actor Vinod Khanna passed away on 27 April 2017 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. He was 70.
Khanna was reportedly battling with cancer for years.
About Vinod Khanna
• Born on 6 October 1946 in Peshawar, Vinod Khanna acted in lead roles in many superhit Bollywood movies.
• He is best remembered for his performance in films like Mere Apne, Mera Gaon Mera Desh, Gaddaar, Jail Yatra, Kuchhe Dhaage, Amar Akbar Anthony, Rajput, Qurbani, Dayavan, and others.
• He was popularly hailed as one of the most handsome lead actors ever in Bollywood, along with Dharmendra, Rajesh Khanna and Shammi Kapoor.
• He made his debut in Bollywood in the year 1968. He first acted in small second lead roles or negative roles.
• At the peak of his film career in 1982, he temporarily quit the film industry to follow his spiritual guru Osho Rajneesh.
• After a 5 year hiatus, he returned to the industry giving two back to back hit films Insaaf and Satyamev Jayate.
• He received the Filmfare award in the Best Supporting Actor category for Haath Ki Safaai. In 1999, he received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award.
• In 1997, he joined the Bharatiya Janata Party.
• He was elected from Gurdaspur constituency in Punjab in the 1998 Lok Sabha poll. In 1999, he was re-elected to the Lok Sabha from the same constituency.
• In July 2002, he became the Union Minister for Culture and Tourism. Six months later, he was moved to the Union Ministry of External Affairs as Minister of State.
• In 2009, he lost out in the Lok Sabha poll. However, he was again elected for 16th Loksabaha from Gurdaspur constituency in 2014 general election.