Veteran Hindustani classical singer Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan died in Kolkata on 18 February 2016. He was 107.
Born in Uttar Pradesh in 1908, Khan belonged to Gwalior Gharana, was a resident Guru at ITC Sangeet Research Academy in Kolkata.
Khan's traditional compositions have been recorded by the BBC and Iraq Radio. On the other hand, organizations like Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Natak Academi, Lucknow and ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata have recorded and preserved many compositions.
He was a member of the All India Radio Audition Committee, New Delhi and was awarded with many titles by the organizations.
Awards and recognitions conferred
• In 2013, he became the oldest recipient of Padma Bhushan
• In 2013, he was given the life time achievement award by the Government of NCT of Delhi
• In 2010, he received Bhuwalka Award
• In 2009, he received Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
• In 2004, he was felicitated with the award of Ras Sagar in form of title award
• In 2003, he received Kashi Swar Ganga Award
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App