Vice-President Hamid Ansari on 5 February 2016 concluded his two-nation tour to Thailand and Brunei.
During the 5-day visit that started on 1 February 2016, the Vice President held talks with the head of governments, political leaders and Indian diaspora to enhance bilateral relations.
Highlights of the visit to Brunei
• He visited the country for three days starting from 1 February 2016 on the invitation of Crown Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah.
• With this tour, Hamid Ansari became the first Vice President to visit Brunei since the establishment of diplomatic relations.
• He met the Sultan of Brunei Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah.
• Both the leaders discussed a number of issues of bilateral, regional and multilateral significance, and also hold discussions on cooperation in ASEAN and East Asia Summit (EAS).
• During his visit, India and Brunei signed 3 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) in the field of health, defence and youth affairs and sports.
Highlights of the visit to Thailand
• He visited the country on official invitation of the Prime Minister of Thailand. This was also the first Vice Presidential visit from India after a gap of 50 years.
• During the visit, he held talks with Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.
• He delivered a speech at the prestigious Chulalongkorn University on the topic India, Thailand and ASEAN: Contours of a Rejuvenated Relationship.
• He visited Wat Phra Kew (Emerald Buddha) and Reclining Buddha temple in the capital Bangkok.
• He addressed the Indian community and met Indologists from Thailand.
• During the visit, India confirmed its participation in the Cobra Gold 2016 amphibious military exercise that will be held in Thailand.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 5 February 2016