Vijender Singh, the boxing star from India, on 16 July 2016 clinched the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title at the Thyagraj Stadium, New Delhi. To win the title, the six-footer from Haryana defeated former WBC European champion Kerry Hope.
Virender, 30, took all 10 rounds to dismantle the 34-year-old Australian Hope and record his seventh straight win in the circuit. He scored 98-92, 98-92, 100-90 to be the unanimous winner.
With this, Singh also became the country’s first-ever professional boxing title holder. The win also helped him to climb to 15th in the world in his category.
Previous six bouts for Vijender Singh were
• Vijender Singh vs Sonny Whiting in Manchester Arena, Manchester, UK: The knockout match played on 10 October 2015 was won by Vijender Singh.
• Vijender Singh vs Dean Gillen ay National Stadium, Dublin: The knockout match played on 7 November 2015 was won by Vijender Singh.
• Vijender Singh vs Samet Hyuseinov at Manchester Arena, Manchester, UK: The knockout match played on 19 December 2015 was won by Vijender Singh.
• Vijender Singh vs Alexander Horvath at Echo Arena, Liverpool, UK: The knockout match played on 12 March 2016 was won by Vijender Singh.
• Vijender Singh vs Matiouze Royer at Copper Box Arena, London, UK: The knockout match played on 30 April 2016 was won by Vijender Singh.
• Vijender Singh vs Andrzej Soldra at Macron Stadium, Bolton, UK: The knockout match played on 13 May 2016 was won by Vijender Singh.
The Indian Boxing Council's undercard bouts includes
• IBC Super Welterweight national title: Siddharth Verma of Maharashtra won the title by defeating Haryana's Dibagh Thakran.
• Heavy weight title: Haryana's Sumit Rangi won the title by defeating debutant Naveen Rao from Delhi.
• Light-heavy title: Gaganpreet Sharma from Chandigarh defeated Deepak Sheoran
• Super Lightweight title: Indian-origin Brit Sanjeev Sahota defeated Vikas Lohan.
• Special women's bout: Negeinihat (from Mary Kom's Manipur-based academy) defeated Bichong via a unanimous decision.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Vijender Singh
When: 16 July 2016