Quizzes for the week covers the most important happenings of the week. These quizzes will help you in revising the week at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the nearest competitive exam that will be faced by you. The quizzes covered in this weekly segment include South Asia Satellite, 2012 Delhi gang rape case and 7th Pay Commission among others.
1. Which city was declared as the cleanest city as per the Swachh Survekshan 2017?
2. Which of the following countries lead the FIFA World Ranking, which was released recently?
3. Which of the following country is not part of the South Asia Satellite that was launched by ISRO on 5 May 2017?
4. Which web portal was launched by Department of Telecom for information sharing on Mobile Towers?
a) Tarang Sanchar
b) Mobile Seva
c) Bharat Sanchar
5. World’s highest rail bridge, which will be taller than Eiffel Tower, is being constructed on which Indian River?
6. Who of the following was recently honoured with the Dada Saheb Phalke Award?
a) Kasinadhuni Viswanath
b) Kamalakara Kameswara Rao
c) Gundamma Katha
d) None of the above
7. Humans must leave Earth in 100 years. Which renowned physicist has said these words?
a) Timothy John Berners-Lee
b) Stephen Hawking
c) Jane Goodall
d) David Baltimore
8. Which Indian domestic airport got a go ahead from the Union Cabinet to be upgraded to an International airport?
a) Shimla Airport
b) Vijayawada Airport
c) Raipur Airport
d) Ranchi Airport
9. Which city became the first in the world to have its own Microsoft font?
c) New York
10. Which of the following became the first state in India to switch to the January-December financial year from existing April-March cycle?
c) Madhya Pradesh
d) Uttar Pradesh
11. World Press Freedom Day was observed globally on which date?
a) 1 May
b) 3 May
c) 2 May
d) 30 April
12. Who was recently honoured with the 2017 INSA Medal for Young Scientist?
a) Nitin Saxena
b) P. Anbarasan
c) Athi N. Naganathan
d) Sanjay Pratihar
13. Who of the following took over as the Controller General of Accounts?
a) Anthony Lianzuala
b) Anil Srivastava
c) K. Vinayak Rao
d) Madhu Ranjan Kumar
14. The Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas was observed on which day?
a) 2 May
b) 1 May
c) 30 April
d) 29 April
15. His name was recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna by Hockey India in May 2017.
a) Sardar Singh
b) Dharamvir Singh
c) PR Sreejesh
d) Akashdeep Singh
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) Indore
Union Urban Development Miniser M Venkaiah Naidu on 4 May 2017 announced the results of Swachh Survekshan 2017 survey. Indore in Madhya Pradesh was adjudged as the cleanest city. Gonda in Uttar Pradesh was adjudged as the least clean city.
2. (a) Brazil
Brazil stands on the first position in the FIFA World Ranking, which released on 4 May 2017. The Indian football team made it into the top 100 of the FIFA World Rankings for the first time in 21 years. The team is placed at 100 alongside Nicaragua, Lithuania and Estonia.
3. (d) Pakistan
The South Asia Satellite was launched by the Indian Space Research organization, ISRO on 5 May 2017. The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle GSLV F-09 carrying the communication and broadcasting satellite lifted off from the second launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikotta at 4.57 pm.
4. (a) Tarang Sanchar
Union Minister of Communications Manoj Sinha launched ‘Tarang Sanchar’ on 2 May 2017 in New Delhi. Tarang Sanchar is a web portal for Information sharing on Mobile Towers and EMF Emission Compliances.
5. (b) Chenab
World’s highest railway bridge that is expected to be 35 metres taller than the Eiffel Tower will be built on Chenab River in Jammu & Kashmir within next two years. The arc-shaped bridge will have a height of 359 m above the river bed.
6. (a) Kasinadhuni Viswanath
President Pranab Mukherjee on 3 May 2017 conferred filmmaker Kasinadhuni Viswanath with the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award at the 64th National Film Awards ceremony in New Delhi. He is the 48th recipient of the Phalke award, the highest recognition in Indian cinema.
7. (b) Stephen Hawking
Renowned British physicist Stephen Hawking has warned that Humans will need to leave Earth and colonise another planet within the next 100 years to escape from asteroid strikes, overpopulation and drastic effects of climate change.
8. (b) Vijayawada Airport
The Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 May 2017 approved the declaration of Vijayawada Airport as International Airport, as per the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
9. (a) Dubai
Dubai became the first city in the world to have its own Microsoft-designed font “Dubai Font”. The type face “Dubai Font” supports both Arabic and Latin script and will be available in 23 languages.
10. (c) Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh on 2 May 2017 became the first state in India to switch to the January-December financial year from existing April-March cycle. The plan to switch the financial year was endorsed by the state cabinet. The move and endorsement of the plan will break a 150-year old tradition of adopting the financial year from April to March. The practice of April-March financial year was adopted in 1867 by the British Government.
11. (b) 3 May
The World Press Freedom Day was observed worldwide on 3 May 2017 with the theme ‘Critical Minds for Critical Times: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies’. Speaking on the occasion, UN Secretary-General António Guterres called for an end to all crackdowns against journalists, as a free press can advance peace and justice for all.
12. (d) Sanjay Pratihar
Sanjay Pratihar, a scientist at Tezpur University, has been chosen for the the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal for the Young Scientist Award for the year 2017.
13. (a) Anthony Lianzuala
Anthony Lianzuala on 1 May 2017 took over as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Department of Expenditure, Union Ministry of Finance, in New Delhi. A 1982-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer, he is the first person from the North-Eastern Region to hold the position.
14. (a) 2 May 2017
Ganga Swachhta Sankalp Divas was observed on 2 May 2017 by the National Mission on Clean Ganga (NMCG) at 12 locations including Allahabad, Varanasi, Kanpur, Patna, Sahibganj, Bhagalpur, Raj Ghat (Hardoi), Kolkatta, Srinagar ( Uttarakhand), Bithoor, Devprayag and Vidhur Kuti.
15. (a) Sardar Singh
Hockey India on 1 May 2017 recommended senior player and former captain Sardar Singh for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India's highest sporting honour. Other players SV Sunil, Dharamvir Singh and Deepika have been recommended for the Arjuna Award while RP Singh and Sumrai Tete have been recommended for the Dhyan Chand Award.