23 April to 29 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, Indu Malhotra's appointment as Supreme Court Judge and Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan among others.
1. Who is BCCI’s nominee for the esteemed Dronacharya award?
a) Rahul Dravid
b) Sachin Tendulkar
c) Saurav Ganguly
d) Anil Kumble
2. US and France have called for a new nuclear deal with which nation?
a) North Korea
3. Who has become the first woman lawyer to be appointed as Supreme Court Judge?
a) Ranjana Desai
b) Sujatha Manohar
c) Ruma Pal
d) Indu Malhotra
4. Name the northeast state from which the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) was completely removed recently?
b) Arunachal Pradesh
5. NASA is going to start building a platform that will serve as a gateway for astronauts travelling to and from which space body?
6. Which Union Ministry has launched Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0?
a) Home Affairs Ministry
b) Rural Development Ministry
c) Human Resource Development Ministry
d) Urban Development Ministry
7. Which country was the highest recipient of remittances in 2017, as per World Bank’s ‘Migration and Development Brief’?
8. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan in which state?
a) Madhya Pradesh
b) Uttar Pradesh
9. The Supreme Court has sought government’s response on a plea against which section of the Indian penal code?
a) Section 375
b) Section 499
c) Section 309
d) Section 377
10. The Union Home Ministry has decided to relax the six-decade-old Protected Area Permit regime in certain north-eastern states. Which among the following states is still a protected area and is not included in the exemption?
1. (a) Rahul Dravid
The BCCI has recommended former India captain Rahul Dravid for the prestigious Dronacharya award and has once again nominated Virat Kohli for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna honour.
2. (d) Iran
US President Donald Trump, who is sceptical of a nuclear accord that was struck between the world powers and Iran in 2015, discussed the issue with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron in Washington on April 24, 2018 and spoke about doing a much bigger deal with the nation.
3. (d) Indu Malhotra
The Union Law Ministry has cleared Indu Malhotra’s appointment to the Supreme Court. With the decision, Malhotra will be the first woman lawyer to be directly appointed from the Bar as a Judge in the Apex Court. She is expected to be sworn into the new position on April 27, 2018.
4. (a) Meghalaya
The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) was completely removed from Meghalaya and some areas of Arunachal Pradesh with effect from April 1, 2018. At present, AFSPA is applicable only in Nagaland, Manipur (excluding Imphal), Assam and parts of Arunachal Pradesh.
5. (a) Mars
NASA will start work on its Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway by early 2019, when it will award the first contract for the program. The lunar platform will be NASA's planned ‘staging’ area for studies of the moon and the deep-space environment. It will eventually also function as a gateway space station for Astronauts travelling to and from Mars.
6. (c) Human Resource Development Ministry
The Union Human Resource Development Ministry has launched the second edition of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan in New Delhi. The main objective of the program is to enable higher education institutions to work with the people of rural India in identifying development challenges and evolving appropriate solutions for accelerating sustainable development.
7. (a) India
As per World Bank’s Migration and Development Brief, India received the highest remittances of USD 69 billion from its diaspora in 2017. The report was released on April 23, 2018. Indian remittances rose sharply by 9.9 percent in 2017. India had received remittances of USD 68.91 billion in 2015, which fell to USD 62.74 billion in 2016.
8. (a) Madhya Pradesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan at Ram Nagar in Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh on the occasion of 2018 National Panchayati Raj Day. The purpose of the scheme is to strengthen the country’s Panchayati Raj system and address critical gaps that hinder its success.
9. (d) Section 377
The Supreme Court of India has sought a response from the Central Government on pleas challenging the Indian Penal Code’s Section 377, which criminalises homosexuality. The top court had said on January 8 that it will re-examine its 2013 verdict upholding Section 377 that criminalises gay sex.
10. (d) Sikkim
The Union Home Ministry has decided to relax the six-decade-old Protected Area Permit regime from the north-eastern states of Nagaland, Mizoram and Manipur for a period of five years. The decision would allow foreign tourists, except those from Pakistan, China and Afghanistan, to visit the states without having a special permit.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.