6 August to 12 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like new Rajya Sabha deputy Chairman, Article 35A and Quit India movement among others.
1. Who has been elected as the new deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
a) BK Hari Prasad
b) Harivansh Narayan Singh
c) Ravi Shankar Prasad
d) Harshvardhan Singh
2. Which Indian American among the following is soon going to step down as Pepsico CEO after 12 years of helming the post?
a) Indra Nooyi
b) Satya Nadella
c) Arundhati Bhattacharya
d) Sundar Pichai
3. Which Indian biosphere reserve has become the 11th one to be added to UNESCO’s WNBR list?
b) Great Rann of Kutch
d) Seshachalam Hills
4. M Karunanidhi, DMK chief and former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, passed away on August 7, 2018. He served how many terms as Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister?
5. August 9, 2018 was observed as the 76th anniversary of which Indian freedom movement?
a) Quit India movement
b) Dandi March
c) Non Violence Movement
d) Civil Disobedience Movement
6. Researchers belonging to which nation have created world’s first single-chromosome yeast?
7. Which space agency recently introduced the crew of nine astronauts for first manned space launch since 2011?
a) European space agency
d) China Manned Space Agency
8. On August 6, 2018, Japan marked the 73rd anniversary atomic bombing on this city.
9. The Article 35A of the Indian Constitution pertains to which state?
b) Arunachal Pradesh
c) Jammu and Kashmir
10. Which state recently launched the Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana for girl child?
c) Uttar Pradesh
11. Which country was elected as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD)?
c) Sri Lanka
12. Which nation’s former President has been nominated to be the next UN human rights chief?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Harivansh Narayan Singh
JDU’s Harivansh Narayan Singh was elected as the new deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha on August 9, 2018. The NDA candidate was pitted against BK Hari Prasad, the joint candidate of the Congress-led Opposition in the vote. Singh won the vote with 125 votes in favour and 105 against.
2. (a) Indra Nooyi
Pepsico CEO Indra Nooyi will step down from her position in October, after helming the post for the last 12 years. She will, however, continue to serve as the Chairman of the company till early 2019. Pepsico veteran, Ramon Laguarta will succeed Nooyi as the new CEO of the company.
3. (c) Khangchendzonga
India’s Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve, one of the highest ecosystems in the world, has been added to UNESCO's list of World Network of Biosphere Reserve (WNBR). The reserve will be India's 11th internationally designated WNBR.
4. (a) 5
DMK patriarch Muthuvel Karunanidhi, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, passed away on August 7, 2018 after battling a brief illness at the Kauvery hospital in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 94. Karunanidhi served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for five separate terms during the 1969–2011 period.
5. (a) Quit India movement
The 76th anniversary of Quit India movement was observed across India on August 8, 2018. On this day in 1942, father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi gave the famous clarion call of ‘Do or Die’ to all Indians to drive the British away from the country.
6. (b) China
Researchers from China have claimed to have created the world’s first single-chromosome yeast while not affecting the majority of its functions. The creation could help in furthering research related to aging and diseases in humans. It may also pave the way for new man-made species in the future.
7. (b) NASA
The US space agency NASA on August 3, 2018 introduced to the world the crew of nine astronauts who will fly on American-made spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS) from the US soil for the first time since the space shuttle’s retirement in 2011.
8. (d) Hiroshima
Japan marked the 73rd anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima on August 6, 2018. Tens of thousands of people gathered to honour the victims at an annual memorial ceremony held in the city. They included representatives from 85 countries, as well as survivors of the bombing.
9. (c) Jammu and Kashmir
The Article 35A of the Indian Constitution was in news recently as the Supreme Court on August 6, 2018 adjourned the hearing on pleas challenging Constitutional validity of Article 35A pertaining to Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
10. (a) Bihar
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana’. The ambitious scheme will provide Rs 54100 from the birth of a girl child till she graduates. The ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana’ will be run by three departments — education, health and social welfare.
11. (d) India
India was elected as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) for a period of 2 years. India got elected against Iran during voting which took place at the 44th annual gathering of AIBD in Colombo, Sri Lanka on August 4, 2018.
12. (d) Chile
The United Nations on August 8, 2018 announced that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has chosen former Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to be the UN’s new human rights chief. She was the first woman in her country to occupy the top position and is known to be a strong advocate for women’s rights.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider