World Economic Forum 2019 begins in Davos
More than 100 CEOs from India are expected to participate in the meet. Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi and filmmaker Karan Johar are also going to be a part of session.
The annual meet of World Economic Forum (WEF) began on January 22, 2019 in Davos, Switzerland.
The World leaders from across the globe will attend the Forum at the Swiss Alps for five days to discuss the looming global economic crisis, global cooperation challenges, rapid climate change, increasing pollution levels, habitat loss, fourth wave of globalisation, among others.
The theme of the World Economic Forum 2019 would be 'Globalisation 4.0: Shaping a Global Architecture in the Age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution'.
The theme will be explored over 350 sessions.
• Those expected to attend the meet include German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Swiss President Ueli Maurer, Japan's Shinzo Abe, Italy's Giuseppe Conte, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu, among 30 heads of states and governments.
• Britain's Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, will be attending the Forum to discuss his work on mental health, another key topic this year.
• Sir David Attenborough will also be there as a ‘Crystal Award Winner’, recognised for harnessing culture to promote positive change.
• The Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of global corporations, central bankers, economists, civil society leaders, media heads, celebrities and heads of international organisations like IMF, WTO, OECD and World Bank will also be present on the occasion.
• Heads of the global charities will also be present including Winnie Byanyima, Executive Director of Oxfam International; Jennifer Morgan, Executive Director of Greenpeace International; and Kenneth Roth, Executive Director of Human Rights Watch.
• Overall, around 3000 participants from 115 economies would be present during the annual meeting.
• More than 100 CEOs from India are expected to participate in the meet. Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi and filmmaker Karan Johar are also going to be a part of session.
• The US President Donald Trump will not be attending the meet this year.
World Economic Forum
• The World Economic Forum is an international organisation for public-private cooperation.
• Established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation, the WEF is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
• The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
• The Forum is currently chaired by Founder and Executive Chairman Professor Klaus Schwab.
• It is guided by a Board of Trustees, which oversees the Forum’s work in promoting true global citizenship.