World Post Day observed globally on 9 October
World Post Day was observed globally on 9 October to create awareness of the role of the postal sector in people’s and businesses’ everyday lives.
9 October: World Post Day
World Post Day was observed globally on 9 October 2014. This day is observed to create awareness of the role of the postal sector in people’s and businesses’ everyday lives as well as its contribution to the social and economic development of countries.
On this day, various programme and activities were undertaken with an aim to generate awareness of their Post’s role as well as activities among public and media on a national scale.
Across the world, the day was celebrated in variety of ways and they include
• In certain countries, World Post Day was observed as a working holiday
• In some countries, the day was used by Many Posts as an event to introduce or promote new postal products and services
• Some Posts also used World Post Day to reward their employees for good service
• In some countries philatelic exhibitions were organized and new stamps and date cancellation marks are issued.
World Post Day celebrations in India
In India, the day will be celebrated as a part of the National Postal Week which will continue till 15 October 2014. This week is observed in different forms and they are
• 10 October – will be the Savings Bank Day
• 11 October – will be the Mails Day
• 13 October – will be Philately Day
• 14 October –will be observed as Business Development Day
• 15 October – will be observed as Personal Life Insurance Day when insurance claims settlement will be given priority with the name to bring down pendency in claims settlement to zero.
On all these days school children will be involved to educate them on functioning of the Postal Department. Customer Forums meeting will also be held in various postal circuits.
About World Post Day
The day is observed annually on the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
Universal Postal Union Congress held in Tokyo, Japan in 1969 declared a day to be observed as the World Post Day. Since that declaration, the day is being observed and celebrated in different countries across the world.
At the time of establishment in 1874, UPU had 22 founding member countries but at present it has 192 member countries.