Lalu Prasad Yadav
Lalu Prasad Yadav is an Indian politician. He was born on June 11, 1948. He is the President of Rashtriya Janata Dal, a political party of India in Bihar, India. Lalu Prasad Yadav has held high-flying posts both in the state and in the Parliament.
Lalu Prasad Yadav was born in Phulwaria area of Gopalganj District in Bihar. He is the 2nd son of Shri Kundan Rai & Smt. Marachhiya Devi. Lalu Prasad Yadav married Rabri Devi on 1 June 1973. They have seven daughters: Rohini, Misha, Bharti, Hema, Chanda, Dhannu and Rajlakshmi and two sons Tej Pratap & Tajashwi.
Lalu Prasad Yadav’s primary education was in a middle school. He studied there up to 7th standard. Subsequently, he shifted to Patna along with his elder brother. There, he completed his Bachelor’s in Law & Master’s in Political Science from B. N. College under Patna University. He worked as a clerk in Bihar Veterinary College in Patna. His 1st step in politics was as a student. He competed in Patna University Union elections.
1977: Lalu Prasad Yadav was elected as the member in sixth Lok Sabha
1980 – 1989: Lalu Prasad served 2 consecutive terms as the member of Bihar Legislative Assembly
1989: Lalu Prasad Yadav was:
- Leader of Opposition in Legislative Assembly of Bihar
- Chairman of Pustakalaya Committee
- Convener of the Public Undertakings Committee
- Elected for the 2nd term in ninth Lok Sabha
1990 – 1995: Lalu Prasad Yadav remained the member of Bihar Legislative Council
1990 – 1997: Lalu Prasad was the Chief Minister of Bihar
1995 – 1998: Lalu Prasad was the member of Bihar Legislative Assembly
1996: Lalu Prasad’s involvement in Fodder Scam was exposed
1997: Lalu Prasad Yadav disassociated himself from Janata Dal & formed Rashtriya Janata Dal
1998: Lalu Prasad Yadav was elected for the 3rd term as the member of twelfth Lok Sabha
1998 – 1999: Lalu Prasad Yadav was the member of:
- Committee on General Purpose
- Committee of Home Affairs
- Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
2004: Lalu Prasad Yadav was elected as the member of fourteenth Lok Sabha & became Cabinet Minister in railways.
2009: Lalu Prasad Yadav was re - elected for the 5th term as the member of 15th Lok Sabha
Achievements and Awards
- Lalu Prasad Yadav raised Indian Railways to a gainful establishment
- Lalu Prasad Yadav’s name is listed in the Limca Book of Records as the longest serving President of Indian political party
- In the year 2004, Lalu Prasad Yadav was awarded the Honorary Doctorate from the University of Patna which he turned down
Books and documentaries
Sankarshan Thakur is the author of the book based on Lalu Prasad Yadav’s life titled The Making of Laloo Yadav; The Unmaking of Bihar. The book was shortly updated & reprinted by Picador India with a new title "Subaltern Sahib: Bihar & the Making of Laloo Yadav".
Lalu Prasad Yadav promised reservation for upper castes, while proclaiming the party manifesto on 6 April 2014. He also promised proper execution of Sachar Committee recommendations.