General Awareness for MBA : 6 January to 12 January
Jan 12, 2015 16:51 IST
- The global financial services firm Nomura on 5 January 2015 forecasted that Indian Economy will grow at 5.5 percent during the financial year (FY) 2015-16 and 6.6 percent during FY 2016-17.
- Modi Government plans to raise Rs 24,000 crore to meet asset-sale target by selling 10% stake in CIL within the next month.
- Videocon Telecom is willing to to sell 49 per cent stake and even ready to give away management control if the company gets "good offer", Videocon Group co-promoter Rajkumar Dhoot said the same.
- Hong Kong-based China Light & Power (CLP) Holdings Limited is planning a 2,000 MW coal-based power plant in Gujarat at a projected investment of $2 billion (around Rs 12,400 crore), adding to its operational gas-based 600 MW power plant in the state.
- Welspun Renewables announced an investment of Rs 8,300 crore to set up about 1,000 MW solar and wind capacities in Gujarat.
- Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan on 6 January 2015 named as the Brand Ambassador of Andhra Pradesh (AP) health sector. His appointment was announced by the AP Health Minister Kamineni Srinivas in Hyderabad.
- Consumer durables major Videocon Group is planning to set up a 60,000-tonne per annum fibreglass plant in Gujarat at an investment of Rs 2,000 crores.
- Senior bureaucrat Sindhushree Khullar was on 10 January 2015 appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog with effect from 1 January 2015. She will serve the position for one year.
- Modibo Keita was on 8 January 2015 appointed as the Prime Minister of West African nation Mali. His appointment was confirmed by Mali's President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita.
- PM Narendra Modi on 8 January 2015 inaugurated a state-of-the-art museum Dandi Kutir opposite Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar, Gujarat on the occasion of the 13th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD).
- Kotak Mahindra Bank secured its shareholders approval for amalgamation with ING Vysya Bank. It was announced by the Kotak Mahindra Bank on 8 January 2015.
- Online Classifieds Company Quikr on 7 January 2015 launched instant messenger Quikr Nxt to enable seamless transactions between its users. The product was launched by Quikr CEO and founder Pranay Chulet.
- Vistara airline, a joint venture of Tata-SIA, started its flight operation in India on 9 January 2015. Vistara flight took off with its first flight from Delhi to Mumbai.
- IT services firm Synechron on 8 January 2015 acquired Paris-based Team Trade. The amount of the deal was not disclosed.
- ICICI Bank on 7 January 2015 launched contactless credit cards and debits cards called Coral Contactless Credit Card and Expressions Wave Debit Card respectively.
- Praj industries, a global process solution company on 7 January 2015 bagged an order from Uganda's Kakira Sugars, to build an ethanol plant with a capacity of 60000 litres per day. The plant will process cane molasses from the Kakira Sugar Mill.
- Chat application Hike messenger on 8 January 2015 acquired US-based free voice-calling company Zip Phone to launch free voice calling. However, the details of acquisition were not disclosed.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) on 6 January 2015 cleared the proposal of beverages and snacks firm PepsiCo India to sell its bottling plants in North India to Varun Beverages.
- US company Digipas on 4 January 2015 launched the first smart luggage lock eGeeTouch at the International Consumer Electronics Show 2015.
- Nilesh Shah on 5 January 2015 resigned as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD &CEO) of Axis Capital Limited.
- Avijit Ghosh on 1 January 2015 took over the charge of Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) of Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC). He is the 21st CMD of HEC which is a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU).
- Chinese Internet giant Tencent Holdings Limited on 6 January 2015 launched China's first online bank named WeBank to boost small businesses.
- Facebook Inc on 5 January 2015 acquired startup company Wit.ai in an attempt to develop voice recognition. However, the details of acquisition were not disclosed by the firms.
- A new Android app called SnoopSnitch was launched in last week of December 2014 during the Chaos Computer Congress’ annual meeting in Hamburg, Germany.
- Chinese nuclear physicist Yu Min was on 9 January 2015 presented with the State Preeminent Science and Technology Award 2014 by Chinese President Xi Jinping. He was awarded for his involvement in research into nuclear weapons since the 1960s.
- Pallewatte Gamaralalage Maithripala Yapa Sirisena (Maithiripala Sirisena) was on 9 January 2015 sworn-in as the 7th President of Sri Lanka.
- All-women contingent of Indian army will march for the first time on 2015 Republic Day (RD) parade. The chief guest of 2015 Republic Day will be the US President Barack Obama.
- The Lunchbox on 8 January 2015 was nominated for British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards 2015 under non-English best film category. The film is the only Indian film to be nominated for 2015 BAFTA Awards.
- The Scientists at the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics have discovered two Earth-like planets Kepler 438b and Kepler 442b. The findings of the discovery were published in The Astrophysical Journal on 5 January 2015.
- Larry Page, the chief executive officer and co-founder of Google was named as the Business person of the Year for 2014 on 6 January 2015 by Fortune magazine.
- Vice President of India Mohammad Hamid Ansari on 9 January 2015 presented the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2015 to sixteen personalities. The awards were presented during the occasion of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Krishan Kant Paul on 8 January 2015 was sworn in as the sixth Governor of Uttarakhand. Chief Justice of Uttarakhand Justice V K Bisht administered the oath of office and secrecy to him at the Raj Bhavan.
- AMCA was in news in the first week of January 2015. It was revealed by the sources from Defence Ministry that the preliminary design stage of the futuristic fighter aircraft is over and the development work on the project is expected to start in 2015.
- Atul Khare was on 7 January 2015 appointed as the United Nations (UN) Under-Secretary-General, Department of Field Support (DFS). He will succeed Ameerah Haq of Bangladesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 6 January 2015 released a commemorative coin to mark the 175th birth anniversary of Tata group founder Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata.
- Raosaheb Patil Danve, was appointed as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) President of Maharashtra on 6 January 2015. He is the Union Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution in Narendra Modi-led NDA government.
- High-level committee (HLC) headed by former Cabinet Secretary T S R Subramanium was in news in first week of January 2015. The four member high-level committee (HLC) was appointed by the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) and Climate Change (CC) to review environmental laws.
- Stanislas Wawrinka on 11 January 2015 won the Chennai Open title of tennis.In the summit clash at Nungambakkam tennis stadium in Chennai, the Swiss world number four defeated the Slovenian qualifier Aljaz Bedene 6-3, 6-4.
- 11-member ICC Associate and Affiliate panel of international umpires for the year 2015 was announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on 7 January 2015.
- New Zealand on 7 January 2014 won the 2-match Test series played against Sri Lanka by 2-0. In the second and final test match played at Basin Reserve in Wellington from 3 January 2015 New Zealand defeated Sri Lanka by 193 runs.
- India will host the 42nd World Bridge Championships that will be held in Chennai from 26 September 2015 to 10 October 2015. The information was announced by Bridge Federation of India (BFI) president N R Kirubakaramoorthy on 7 January 2015.
- Popov Ivan of Russia on 6 January 2015 won 7th Chennai International Open Grandmaster Chess title. He clinched the title via super tie-breaker after eight players ended with 7.5 points each.
- 6. Indian weightlifters on 5 January 2015 ended their campaign by bagging a total of 14 medals including 6 Gold Medals in the 17th Asian Youth (boys & girls), 22nd Junior Women and 29th Junior Men Asian Weightlifting Championships 2015 at Doha, Qatar.