Every student has his/her aim in life. Some decides from their childhood, some started thinking in school life and some after graduation. Now, the students residing in rural/semi-urban areas or having non-English educational backgrounds are generally very hard - working. Usually, they made their aim to get a government job. Now the biggest hurdle or challenge came across their preparation is English section. This section is not difficult. It is just like, they do not get proper teaching of this subject as compared to English background students.
In this article, we will explain how you can prepare for English section for competitive exams. Here is the list of things you must start doing in your daily life.
1. Cultivate reading habit: Student generally thinks that they can develop it by reading newspapers and get expertise in English. You must understand that it is not the correct way of developing reading habit. The best way is to read novels, interesting stories, biographies or anything which creates enthusiasm or craving of reading in your mind. When you will start reading such things, you will have the understanding of difficult words and phrases on your own. If you don’t understand, read sentence once more, analyze it, and try to understand the theme of the passage and thinking of author. This will increase your grasping ability too.
In this way, you will acknowledge the use of cloze test, fillers, sentence completion, etc. and make notes of words/phrases, which you encounter while reading. Hence, You can manipulate usage of words in sentences.
When reading habit matures, then you can easily shift your attention to reading newspapers. Do not get involved in reading the entire newspaper. Just read the editorial page.
2. Start watching English movies: When you start watching English movies, it may happen that you do not understand or feel it sluggish. If you don’t understand, listen it again and again. Also, try to analyze it reading the captions written below, if given. This will improve your pronunciation, vocabulary, and helps in solving Para-jumbles & reading comprehension.
3. Start solving exercises: Make a habit to give half an hour on each type of questions daily. If you give enough time in error spotting, then it will help you in many areas. You will start analyzing correct sentence usage while reading as well. Solve cloze test, sentence completion by the elimination rule. The elimination rule helps in finding answers by rejecting options.
4. Pronunciation practice: Start talking in English with your friends, relatives, etc. Don’t feel shy. Day by day you will start improving. Start listening pronunciation of simple words, which we often use in our day-to-day life. For example, ‘our’, ‘ask’, ‘business’, ‘phase’, ‘clothes’, etc. Be clear with the sounds ‘sh’, ‘ch’, ‘ish’, ‘chy’, ‘isk’, etc. This will help you out in group discussions, interview process. Just try to generate confidence while speaking. Don’t hesitate. Try to avoid using unknown words.
5. Synonym/Antonym practice: practice antonyms and synonyms from the reading or study material whatever you are referring. Make a list of weird or unfamiliar words along with their corresponding antonyms and synonyms. Read them regularly and practice to form sentences out of them. Such practices will ultimately going to help you in English language section likewise in reading comprehension, vocabulary test, sentence formations and etc.
6. Practice mock tests: Any exam you are preparing for, just attempt one mock test of it daily. Try to figure out your strong and weak areas. Then start spending more time on weak areas. Solve previous year papers. Plan a strategy to solve a paper. Make a sequence of attempting the questions. Like you can choose to attempt topics as per time convenience. Attempt sentence correction first, and then go for questions carrying fillers. After that you can choose para jumble, sentence exclusion type. Then come to reading comprehension.
In reading comprehension, follow the logic of the passage. Keep overall story in mind. The passage will always tell you a story with a definite beginning, middle and end. Always attempt such questions in a preset time limit i.e., the time you get in exam for this section. This will increase your speed.
All these above said practices will improve the major English section, especially for non-English background aspirants. Just be confident. Always keep in mind that if you can think something, then you can do it as well. Try all these practices and get desired benefits.
All the best!
SSC CGL 2018 English Language and Comprehension Preparation Strategy: Detailed Chapter-wise Syllabus
SSC CGL 2018 Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Strategy: Detailed Chapterwise and Yearwise Analysis
SSC Quantitative Aptitude preparation tips: Time and Work
Hobbies, which can help you in SSC exam preparation