Indian Administrative Services – one of the most coveted and sought after career options in India, attracts thousands every year on to the preparation for Civil Services Examination. Despite the growing competition and excessively tough nature, the craze behind IAS Exam has not slowed down a bit; in fact, it has started growing to unprecedented proportions in recent times. While many are joining this bandwagon, there are others who despite their best efforts are not sure of taking up IAS preparation. This is mainly because of the popular belief i.e., ‘IAS Exam Preparation is very hard’; which deters their commitment to this field despite their interest, ability, and commitment. Some existing aspirants also fall for this trap, which affects their psychological ability and breaks their self-confidence inability to crack the IAS exam.
How tough is the IAS Exam?
- There are different opinions and perspectives that have been shared by aspirants, which makes IAS examination very tough one to crack. The commons ones include:
- Success Ratio: One is from the competition aspect, where success ratio of lessthat 0.01% makes Civil Services Exam the toughest one on the entire planet.
- Extensive & Ever-growing syllabus: Another aspect that makes IAS examsseem very tough is the extensive and ever-growing syllabus that grows by at least 1 newspaper per day.
- Timeframe: Many times students end up preparing for several years, beginning from school age to post graduation, which requires extensive amount of time and commitment from students.
While the IAS exam can surely be termed as tough considering the aforementioned factors, but we should also not ignore that every year more than 1000 aspirants end up successfully cracking this examination. Their success stories are evident of one single fact that hard work and commitment are the only two things that matter when it comes to IAS examination. All the top rankers in IAS examination term the test as difficult but also suggest that with an organized approach and well-planned strategy it can be a cake of walk.
Meeting the Challenges:
If you are still not convinced about the fact that IAS Preparation is not a tough affair and can be easily managed with a managed and organized affair, the below-mentioned points should surely help you burst this myth.
- Success Ratio: Though lakhs of aspirants apply and appear for IAS examination every year, the true competition lies only among the top 3000 to 4000 candidates, who are serious about the examination. A serious aspirants study in a systematic manner with a degree of consistency, if you do the same, there is no doubt that you will be part of this group.
- Extensive & Ever Growing Syllabus: This is another myth that is propagated by aspirants who are unable to manage their IAS study due to haphazard approach. UPSC strictly adheres to defined syllabus as far as designing of test paper is concerned. Surely, the general awareness section in the exam is quite tricky and needs special attention, but the questions asked in this section are from current affairs and general knowledge, which as an IAS aspirant you are expected to know.
- Timeframe: This is again a result of IAS aspirants who failed to clear the examination despite repeated attempts due to poor preparation strategy and unorganized approach. Every year many students clear the IAS examination in their first attempt and if you follow a clearly defined plan and strategy you can also do the same very easily.
Being part of India’s highest bureaucratic service needs an immense amount of hard work, dedication, and commitment from the aspirants. If they can keep their end of the bargain, there is no doubt that destiny will help them achieve glory.