IAS questions based on the recent issues have much significance in UPSC IAS Exam and it should be meticulously prepared before the IAS Prelims Exam. Preparation of current affairs based quizzes also gives an edge to the preparation of IAS Mains Exam.
1. Recently, the Union Cabinet has approved MoU between India and Nepal on Drug Demand Reduction and Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and precursor chemicals and related matters. Consider the following statements regarding this:
1. The MoU lists out the areas of cooperation on drug matters between the two countries.
2. It also indicates the mechanism of information exchange and the competent authorities in the two countries who are responsible for the implementation of the MoU and exchange of any information.
3. India has always supported global efforts to counter drug trafficking and is party to several multilateral and bilateral initiatives in this regard as also United Nations (UN) led initiatives.
Which of the following above statements is true?
a. 1 and 2
b. 2 and 3
c. 1 and 3
d. 1, 2 and 3
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Nepal on Drug Demand Reduction and Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and precursor chemicals and related matters.
The MoU lists out the areas of cooperation on drug matters between the two countries. It also indicates the mechanism of information exchange and the competent authorities in the two countries who are responsible for the implementation of the MoU and exchange of any information.
Cooperation on drug matters is expected to curb the illicit traffic of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursor chemicals in the two countries.
2. Recently, the Union cabinet has approved MoU between India and Nepal for laying down implementation arrangement for construction of a new Bridge over which of the following rviers?
The Union Cabinet has approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed between India and Nepal for laying down implementation arrangement on Cost sharing, Schedules and Safeguard issues for starting construction of a new Bridge over Mechi River at Indo-Nepal border.
The estimated cost of construction of the bridge is Rs. 158.65 crore, which would be funded by Government of India through ADB loan. The new bridge is part of up-gradation of the Kakarvitta (Nepal) to Panitanki Bypass (India) on NH 327B covering a length of 1500 meters including a 6 lane approach road of 825 meters. Mechi Bridge is the ending point of Asian Highway 02 in India leading to Nepal and provides critical connectivity to Nepal.
The construction of the bridge will improve regional connectivity and has potential to strengthen cross border trade between both the countries and cementing ties by strengthening industrial, social and cultural exchanges.
3. The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is going to establish National Sports Museum, first of its kind in which of the following cities of the country?
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is going to establish National Sports Museum, first of its kind, at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. The decision was taken three months back and after a series of meetings and his personal visits to several locations in the capital, the current venue for museum was finalized by the Sports Minister Shri Vijay Goel himself.
The Museum will showcase the India’s achievements in sports and also focus on the traditional sports within the country. He said, the aim of the Museum is to popularise the sports as a way of life within the country. Accordingly, the proposed Museum would go beyond the classical approach of a collection of memorabilia to become an interactive venue of interest for all age groups. In addition, Shri Goel said, it will display achievements of the Indian greats in sports and also act as an educational hub and offer opportunity for the young to delve into some sporting activity.
4. Which of the following Ministries has launched the 'Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat' campaign in Kochi?
a. Ministry of Home Affairs
b. Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
c. Ministry of Human Resource Development
d. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
‘Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat’ Programme, an initiative of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan to prepare a physical Health and Fitness Profile Card for more than 12 lakhs of Kendriya Vidyalaya students was launched in Kochi. Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri. Prakash Javadekar unveiled the Profile Card in a function held at Kendriya Vidyalaya at KV NAD, Aluva (Kochi) on 21 st August 2017.
Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat programme will provide a comprehensive and inclusive report card for children covering all age groups and children of different abilities. Making students, teachers and parents aware about the importance of good health and fitness and encouraging 60 minutes of play each day is an objective of the programme. Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat programme also intends to imbibe values of Olympics and Paralympics amongst students. Bring back the childhood amongst children and make physical activity and recreational games an integral part of learning process , Motivating potentially outstanding performers in various games and sports of excellence, using technology for data capture and analytics, and giving access to schools, parents and teachers are also the objectives of the programmes.
5. Consider the following statements with respect to Nano Missile developed by Indian student.
1. It was developed by Dacharla Panduranga Rohith, a student of Chennai's SRM University.
2. It is 2 cm long and can fly by burning the red phosphorus.
Which of the following statement(s) is/are correct?
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
Dacharla Panduranga Rohith, a student of SRM University in Chennai, was recognised by World Records of India, for developing a nano missile. He wanted to hand over the missile to DRDO for the use of Indian Army and local police in fighting terrorism after developing it for launch through a robot. Rohith is the elder son of Dacharla Tirumala Rao and Sridevi, residents of Kammapalem in Ongole. He completed his high school and Intermediate education from Sriviswasanthi Educational Institutions in Vuyyuru of Krishna district and studying final year Computer Science Engineering at SRM University in Chennai.
As an active student since childhood, Rohith is said to be interested in the flight technologies and missiles. The interest is increased after he got a chance to serve as a flying cadet in the aero show organised by the Indian Air Force in Vijayawada a few years ago. As the family conditions are not supporting, he obeyed his parents’ decision to study computer science than joining aeronautics but continued his research about the flying machines.