UPSC NDA NA II Exam 2016: Practice Questions English I
Directions (1 - 8): Each item in this section consists of a sentence with an underlined word followed by four words. Select the word that is most similar in meaning to the underlined word.
1. The slump in business made Mr. Sharma Bankrupt.
2. Parents should cultivate in their children the habit of cleanliness.
3. She is a contemplative person.
4. The novel began in an eerie situation.
5. All the characters in the movie are fictitious.
6. Her dedication to fitness was almost fanatical.
7. They hope to emulate the success of other blue-chip companies.
8. She loved her father’s vivid description of foreign cities.
Directions (9 - 16): Each item in this section consists of a sentence with an underlined word followed by four words. Select the word that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word.
9. He accepted the challenge with an alacrity that surprised me.
10. He looked adorable in his new dress.
11. The revised tax structure is uniform.
12. Tolerance is essential for peace and harmony.
13. She is urbane in her manners.
14. He confessed his feelings for me.
15. She made an exhaustive list of grocery items.
16. There was a marginal increase in the revenues of the company.
1. Answer: c)
2. Answer: a)
3. Answer: d)
4. Answer: b)
5. Answer: c)
6. Answer: b)
7. Answer: d)
8. Answer: a)
9. Answer: c)