The President of India Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the Nineteenth Meeting of the Governing Council of the Centre on Integrated Rural Development for Asia and the Pacific (CIRDAP) on 30 September 2013 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
Highlights of the Inaugural Event
• The President stated that a rural growth strategy has become necessary to make a decisive impact on poverty and to trigger a development process that combines growth with equity.
• Land, which is increasingly becoming a scarce resource, needed to be managed efficiently.
• Principles of community empowerment needed to be adopted to increase the productivity of land, particularly rain-fed, degraded and waste lands.
• Rural areas need to be motivated to contribute towards the national progress.
• The Centre on Integrated Rural Development for Asia and the Pacific, which is active is promoting regional cooperation, has a big role to play.
• Other dignitaries present on the occasion included Jairam Ramesh, Union Minister of Rural Development; Pradeep Jain, Minister of State for Rural Development and Lal Chand Kataria, Minister of State for Rural Development.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.