3rd Phase of Science Express Biodiversity Special flagged off from Safdarjung Railway Station
Third Phase of Science Express Biodiversity Special (SEBS) was flagged off from Safdarjung Railway Station in New Delhi.
Third phase of Science Express Biodiversity Special (SEBS) was flagged off from Safdarjung Railway Station in New Delhi on 28 July 2014. The train was flagged off by Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar along with Minister of Railways, D. V. Sadananda Gowda and Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science and Technology, Dr. Jitendra Singh.
In this phase, the train is envisaged to cover 57 locations over a span of 194 days on Broad Gauge network of Indian Railways across the entire length & breadth of the country. The present phase would culminate on 4th February, 2015 at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
The Union Minister of Forests and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar on the occasion also announced that an advertising campaign would be initiated so as to sensitize and educate the masses on the nuances of the rich biodiversity of the country.
The state-of the- art exhibition aboard SEBS aims to create wide-spread awareness on the unique biodiversity of India, Climate Change, Water, Energy Conservation and related issues among various sections of the society, especially students.
First Launch of Science Express Biodiversity Special
• The Science Express Biodiversity Special was launched in the year 2012 and since its launch; the train has covered 114 stations and travelled across more than 37000 kms in the first two phases.
• Phase-I of the SEBS was launched on World Environment Day (5 June 2012) from Safdarjung Railway Station, New Delhi. Phase-II of the SEBS was launched on 9 April 2013 from Safdarjung Railway Station, New Delhi.
• It covered 62 locations and over 22 lakh people, including 5 lakh students and 29000 teachers from 6005 schools.
About Science Express Biodiversity Special
• The Science Express Biodiversity Special is an innovative exhibition on wheels. The train aims to create awareness amongst masses in general and youth in particular about the exceptional biodiversity of India.
• SEBS is a flagship venture of Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Union Ministry of Science and Technology and Indian Railways.
• The train explores the journey of learning, spreading the message of Bio diversity conservation.
• The train was the brand ambassador of COP 11.
• It showcased the rich biodiversity of India to delegates from over 190 countries.
• The train was stationed at Secunderabad in October 2012 to facilitate visit of delegates to the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biodiversity.
• This was one of the world’s most visited train exhibitions.
• Within India, it had gone to the highest rail track possible for broad gauge, and also covered some extreme locations in the north, south, east and west.
Importance of the Science Express Biodiversity Special Train Initiative
The initiative is said to be was unique and innovative. It provides for the platform to showcase the achievements of science to the people.
The current decade (2011-2020) has been declared as the United Nations Decade on Biodiversity and United Nations Decade for Deserts and Fight against Desertification. The Science Express Biodiversity Special train therefore primarily addresses the theme of biodiversity.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group