Arundhati Bhattacharya on 2 August 2013 was appointed the managing director and chief financial officer of the State Bank of India(SBI). She is the first managing director at SBI which is India's largest bank. Arundhati succeeded Diwakar Gupta who retired a couple of days ago.
The SBI has four managing directors, five deputy managing directors and 18 chief general managers apart from its chairman. Its other managing directors are A. Krishna Kumar, Hemant G. Contractor and S Visvanathan. SBI chairman Pratip Chaudhuri will be retiring in September 2012.
There are several other women who have made it to the top in domestic banking and financial services.
The list of women occupying major posts in domestic banking and financial services;
• Chanda Kochhar is the managing director & CEO of ICICI Bank,
• Shikha Sharma heads Axis Bank while Naina Lal Kidwai is the country head of HSBC India.
• Kalpana Morparia is the chief executive officer at JP Morgan India Pvt Ltd.
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has also had women occupying top posts.
• Shyamala Gopinath, K.J. Udeshi and Usha Thorat have all been deputy governors.
• Vijayalakshmi R. Iyer is the chairperson and managing director of Bank of India.
• Archana Bhargava is the chairperson & managing director of United Bank of India and S.A. Panse heads Allahabad Bank.
When: 2 August 2013.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.