Bihar CM Nitish Kumar selected for K Veeramani Award for Social Justice
Nitish Kumar is chosen for the award for his contribution towards social justice as Chief Minister.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on 29 January 2016 was selected for the prestigious K Veeramani Award for Social Justice 2015.
Kumar is chosen for the award for his contribution towards social justice as Chief Minister.
The award is given away by Periyar International, a Chicago-based voluntary organisation. However, the date and venue of the award function are yet to be decided.
About K Veeramani Award for Social Justice
• The K Veeramani Award for Social Justice was instituted by the non-resident Indian (NRI) followers of Periyar E. V. Ramasami, the great social reformer of India, living all over the world.
• This award is instituted in Dr. K. Veeramani's name to recognize his contributions in creating a mass awareness in India on social equality and respect for human dignity.
• This international award is awarded every year to an individual who has or an institution that has contributed immensely to the cause of social justice.
• The award recognizes a single event or a lifetime contribution that is responsible for the emancipation of a section of the society from the oppressions of social injustice.
• Constituted in 1996, the award recipients include former Prime Minister V P Singh, former Uttar Pradesh CM Mayawati, former Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi, former Maharashtra deputy CM Chhagan Bhujbal and former AICC president Sitaram Kesri.
• In 2014, Professor Dhaneswar Sahoo was honoured with the award.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App