Current Affairs, 21 December 2017
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 20 December 2017 gave its ex-post-facto approval for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Cuba on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine. The MoU was signed on 6 December 2017 in New Delhi.
Following are the areas of cooperation covered under the MoU:
• Exchange & training of medical doctors, officials, other health professionals and experts.
• Assistance in development of human resources, health services and setting up of health care facilities.
• Short term training of human resources in health.
• Regulation of pharmaceuticals, medical devices and exchange of information.
• Promotion of business development opportunities in pharmaceuticals and others identified by parties.
• Procurement of generic and essential drugs and assistance in sourcing of drug supplies.
• Procurement of health equipment and pharmaceutical products.
Besides this, the agreement would cover any other area of cooperation that is decided and mutually agreed upon by both the nations.
A Joint Working Group (JWG) will be set up to further elaborate the details of the cooperation and to oversee the implementation of this MoU.
Who: Union Cabinet
When: 20 December 2017