The Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 May 2017 approved the declaration of Vijayawada Airport as International Airport, as per the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
The move will help enhance connectivity to the State capital. It will also expand the choice of services for the air travellers and that too at competitive costs. This will encourage more international passengers to visit the city thereby, boosting domestic and international tourism and the socio-economic development of Andhra Pradesh.
• An airport is declared as an International airport depending upon its traffic potential and demand from airline operators for the operation of international flights.
• Other important aspects of such a move include the availability of Ground Lighting facilities, Customs, Immigration, adequate runway length to cater to medium capacity long-range aircraft or an equivalent type of aircraft, Instrument Landing System for the operation of aircraft at night and the availability of Health and Animal & Plant Quarantine Services.
• The proposal requesting the declaration of Vijayawada Airport as an International airport was taken up as per the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
• The proposal was made keeping in view the demands from airlines and the Andhra Pradesh government and the jump in passenger traffic.
• The upgradation work of the airport has been taken up by the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
Who: The Union Cabinet
When: 3 May 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.